Change Windows language by Group Policy? RRS feed

• Question

• We are deploying a Windows 7 standard build. We have installed all the (MUI) language packs for Europe.

I am looking for a method by which we can ensure that all our users in a particular OU in Active Directory automatically have the correct language selected.

Currently we need to login each user and select the language that the user prefers using the Regional control panel.

I presume there must be a way to do this?
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• There is a group policy which controls this. You'd want to specify the language you want for each OU and have it applied at that level. Of course you'll want to have the language installed on the specific systems too.

Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Regional and Language Options\Restricts the UI language Windows users for all logged users

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:56 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

As I know, there’s no method to do that. If you really want, you need to write the script.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:49 AM

All replies

• There is a group policy which controls this. You'd want to specify the language you want for each OU and have it applied at that level. Of course you'll want to have the language installed on the specific systems too.

Computer configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Regional and Language Options\Restricts the UI language Windows users for all logged users

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Did you resolve the problem?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

I would prefer not to 'restrict' the language which is used and I would like to be able to do it by user. Therefore a user that logs in on a computer when travelling to another office in a different country will get their home language.

I have found a setting under HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop

PrefferedLanguageUI

Is there not a group policy already in place to change this as the values for the different countries is in HEX and difficult to manipulate.

Thanks

Saturday, October 16, 2010 8:29 AM
  • Hi,

As I know, there’s no method to do that. If you really want, you need to write the script.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 8:49 AM