How to start a network connection at Windows 10 startup automatically RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using a dial-up broadband PPPOE connection to connect to internet.

The way I used to have it in Windows 7- I would just create a shortcut from 

Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Broadband Connection

and put it in Startup folder.

In Windows 10 the same exact shortcut opens up Settings > NETWORK & INTERNET window.

Now, would anyone be so kind and explain to me how can I create a shortcut to 

Settings > Dial-up > Broadband Connection > Connect, 

or any other way to launch internet connection at Windows startup without me being have to shuffle though bunch of menus and clicking connect button.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by RomanKu79 Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:49 PM Slightly rephrasing... for clarity
    Saturday, August 1, 2015 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi!Windows 8 has got the easy method of connecting to pppoe connections right from the taskbar.

In Windows 10 I've struggled too, to find the option to connect in quick way.

Here is an easy method which i've used in xp, comes handy now (Remembering old days P).

To connect

--------------------

@Echo off
    rasdial Connectionname username password
    exit

----------------------

To disconnect

--------------------

rasdial connectionname /DISCONNECT            
    exit

--------------------

Paste only text inside the dotted lines.Save as separate batch file and run it. Viola!

Hope it helps!

• Edited by Krishna_2k Friday, October 2, 2015 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by RomanKu79 Friday, October 2, 2015 1:55 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi RomanKu79,

We could create a shortcut using the following way:

1. Create the broadband Connection using Settings or from Control Panel;

2. Navigate to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center, then click Change adapter settings, this would navigate to the following path: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections;

3. There would be Broadband Connection available, right click to Create a Shortcut, then put it into the Startup folder:

Another way that to start the connection is to take use of Startup/login script with the following commands:

START Rasdial <connection name> <username> <password

Regarding this part, it is recommended to seek help at some scripting forums for further assistance.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, August 5, 2015 2:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Deason Wu Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RomanKu79 Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RomanKu79 Thursday, September 17, 2015 5:36 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 3:35 AM
  • I'm struggling with this as well...it's annoying!  Have you found a way to solve this?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 8:28 PM
  • I apologize to misters top 0.5%s, but I don't believe this to be a proper answer. 

Since, if you read the question, I specifically noted that a shortcut does not work. And "go someplace else and learn how to write scripts if you want your thing fixed" is not helping...

• Proposed as answer by Krishna_2k Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Krishna_2k Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:02 PM
    Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Hi!Windows 8 has got the easy method of connecting to pppoe connections right from the taskbar.

In Windows 10 I've struggled too, to find the option to connect in quick way.

Here is an easy method which i've used in xp, comes handy now (Remembering old days P).

To connect

--------------------

@Echo off
    exit

----------------------

To disconnect

--------------------

rasdial connectionname /DISCONNECT            
    exit

--------------------

Paste only text inside the dotted lines.Save as separate batch file and run it. Viola!

Hope it helps!

• Edited by Krishna_2k Friday, October 2, 2015 5:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by RomanKu79 Friday, October 2, 2015 1:55 PM
    Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Thanks a lot!
    Friday, October 2, 2015 1:56 PM
  • Do i need to put:

@Echo off
    exit

in a notepad and save it as:   .bat?

Or how?

I don't understand where to put it inside the dotted lines....where are these dotted lines?

Could someone explain me?

A screen shot would help a lot.
    Friday, May 13, 2016 3:04 PM