none
Unable to create Filters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Project Server 2007. When I try create new custom filter in a new plan (to remove few resources from Resource Usage view)in MSP its working. However when try to do the same in an existing plan, I am unable to find "Resource" field in the custom filter. Please help. 

Thanks in advance

Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:55 AM

Answers

• Khaldun --

To add to the excellent replies from Joe, there is something else you can do.  Create the filter in the test project and give the Filter an original name.  After you have created and saved the custom filter, click Tools > Organizer.  In the Organizer dialog, click the Filters tab and then select the Resource option in the upper left corner of the dialog.  You should see your custom filter on the right side of the dialog, because it is in the current project.  Select the filter on the right, and then click the Copy button.  This will copy the filter into your Global.mpt file (which is merged with the Enterprise Global temporarily), allowing you to use the filter in every current and future project.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Khaldun Holmes Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:47 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:48 PM

All replies

• Khaldun --

It would help if you told us your filter criteria for creating the new custom filter that you want to use in the Resource Usage view.  Please let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:43 PM
  • It sounds like you have created the filter in one project and you are trying to reuse it in other project (?) If that is the case then you could add the filter to the enterprise global template which would make it available for everyone.  Or, you could copy the new filter you created into existing plans by using the organizer.  From the menu bar select Files then go to Info > Organizer > Filter Resource.  Select the project where the filter exists and move to the other existing project where you want the filter to be.  
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:14 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response. We just want to filter two resources from Resource Usage view by creating a new custom filter. In my test plan in Project server, I am able to create that custom filter in my project plan. [Project->Filter-< more filter -> new (Resources)]. However in an existing plan (where we actually want to implement it) we are unable to create the filter because under field name (during new filter creation) "Resource" field name is not available. Hope 

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply. We have created the required filter in a test plan in the project server. However, I am not able to create the same filter using the same procedure in another existing plan. As under field name (in the new filter creation), "Resources" field name is not available. Can we do it without creating a filter in the enterprise global template? 

Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

So these are the steps I'm following (tell me if you're doing something different): 

Open an existing file in MS Project.  From the menu go to view, then on the ribbon go to the data section and click on the filter. Then from the list select new filter then in the Filter Definition Dialog box where the default says name Filter 1 (default) you click on the Field Name and you don't see "Resource Name"?   Do you see the other Resource fields like Resource Initials, Resource Group?

You don't have to update the Enterprise Global Template.  Just open both projects click File > Option > Organizer and Filter and move the filter from one project to the other.

Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:24 PM
  • Khaldun --

To add to the excellent replies from Joe, there is something else you can do.  Create the filter in the test project and give the Filter an original name.  After you have created and saved the custom filter, click Tools > Organizer.  In the Organizer dialog, click the Filters tab and then select the Resource option in the upper left corner of the dialog.  You should see your custom filter on the right side of the dialog, because it is in the current project.  Select the filter on the right, and then click the Copy button.  This will copy the filter into your Global.mpt file (which is merged with the Enterprise Global temporarily), allowing you to use the filter in every current and future project.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Khaldun Holmes Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:47 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 8:48 PM