locked
AppV 4.6 package not working and behaving oddly RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I've got an APPV package which is behaving in an odd way. I load the package onto the system using the following commands -

    sftmime add package:PackageName /manifest PackageName.xml /overrideurl PackageName.sft

    sfttray /load "PackageName"

    Then launch the program using sfttray /launch "PackageName".

    The program then launches without a problem but then when inside the package when performing a specific action, the program crashes.

    However, when I then tried to troubleshoot the problem using procmon and cmd.exe I noticed that the problem goes away.

    So if I run sfttray /exe cmd /launch "PackageName", a command window then opens from which i can run Procmon etc. However, if I then browse to the Virtual directory which is home to my main executable and run the program (exe) from there. I cannot replicate the program crash.

    So, in summary, I can only cause the program to crash when I'm not trying to troublehsoot it with cmd.exe.

    Any ideas what i could do? Anyone ever come across this?I'm using APPV 4.6SP1.

    Thanks,

    Mark


    Friday, May 10, 2013 2:23 PM

Answers

All replies

  • If I was you, I would first look in your OSD file and see if there FILE path is correct and check if the PARAMETERS is populated and if it looks correct or incorrect.

    Does your application have a service? what is the service set to


    PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

    Friday, May 10, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply. The OSD file looks correct.

    The FILE Path is correct and there are no PARAMETERS passed.

    And no, the application doesn't have a service that I know of.

    Here is my OSD file

    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
    <SOFTPKG GUID="5F2D4833-5721-4DF8-8C67-11602E095961" NAME="Powerlog Client RDS" VERSION="3.6.0.21">
        <IMPLEMENTATION>
            <CODEBASE HREF="RTSP://%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%:554/Powlog36.053/Powlog36.053.sft" GUID="ED0A782A-16A3-44CA-9E7A-19D63FA79E96" PARAMETERS="" FILENAME="Powlog36.053\plclient.exe" SYSGUARDFILE="Powlog36.053\osguard.cp" SIZE="31253169"/>
            <VIRTUALENV TERMINATECHILDREN="FALSE">
                <POLICIES>
                    <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>
                </POLICIES>
                <ENVLIST/>
            </VIRTUALENV>
            <WORKINGDIR>%SFT_MNT%\Powlog36.053</WORKINGDIR>
            <VM VALUE="Win32">
                <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
            </VM>
        </IMPLEMENTATION>
        <DEPENDENCY>
            <CLIENTVERSION VERSION="4.6.0.0"/>
        </DEPENDENCY>
        <PACKAGE NAME="Powlog36.053"/>
        <ABSTRACT>Date Sequenced: 10/05/2013
    OS Sequenced: Windows Server 2003
    APPV Sequencer used: 4.6.1.20870</ABSTRACT>
        <MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
            <SHORTCUT LOCATION="%CSIDL_PROGRAMS%\P Squared Powerlog Client" FILENAME="Powerlog Client.lnk" OVERRIDDEN="FALSE" DISPLAY="Powerlog Client" ICON="%SFT_MIME_SOURCE%/Powlog36.053 Icons/Powerlog_Client_3.6.0.21_RDS.ico"/>
        </MGMT_SHORTCUTLIST>
        <MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
            <PROGIDLIST/>
            <FILEEXTENSIONLIST/>
        </MGMT_FILEASSOCIATIONS>
    </SOFTPKG>



    Friday, May 10, 2013 3:57 PM
  • You are using 4.6.1 version of the sequencer. Maybe try to resequence with SP2?
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Change

    <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="windows"/>
    to
    <SUBSYSTEM VALUE="console"/>

    and try again.

    Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

    That's a great idea - there is a more extensive guide for troubleshooting errors;

    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chinmay_palei/archive/2012/05/14/appv-troubleshooting-demysitfied.aspx


    Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

    Sunday, May 12, 2013 6:59 PM
  • Hi Tiberivs,

    I've tried that but it hasn't fixed the issue.

    Will have to try something else.

    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Hi guys,

    I've not managed to fix it but I've got a feeling it must be an issue with my OSD, as if I run the main executable from inside the APPV bubble, from either explorer or the command window the program works fine. However, as soon as I use the OSD file to launch the executable there are problems. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the fact that I've had to set the executable to run in Compatibility Mode (WINXPSP3). Will this then be ignored when running from the OSD file? Do I need to set something within the OSD file for the compatibility mode?

    Mark

    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Hi Znack,

    That seems to have solved my problem. I had added the current user registry information during my sequence and assumed this would work. Looks like it needs to be done via the OSD file. It should be noted though to others if they follow the solution on this website that they don't copy and paste the line "REG.EXE ADD “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers” /v “q:\path\to\the\exeuctable.exe” /t REG_SZ /d “WINXPSP3 DISABLETHEMES”" as this has invalid characters and therefore causes XML problems. Ensure you enter that information manually into the OSD file.

    Thanks for your help all!!

    Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:21 PM