Spanning over two monitors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I previously had Windows XP. Now i have upgraded to Windows 7 I have lost the ability to span across two screens and therefore i can no longer play games over two screens using the full resolution. This was available with Windows XP. The only way around this i have discovered is to buy a new graphics card. Which i think is ridiculous when the graphics card i have is powerfull enough to play the latest games, just not new. Therefore i am not prepared to do this. Will there be a fix so i don't have to spend more money for a function i use to have? i can never understand why upgrading to a newer Windows would downgrade a useful function. If the pro's exceed the con's then i think users will need to know them. Otherwise they will look elsewhere. as i am currently doing.

Minesh

Monday, December 26, 2011 1:44 PM

Answers

• Extended desktop operation isn't the same as spanning, which logically makes the desktop look like one really big monitor to the apps.  Spanning is no longer supported as part of the basic Windows Display Driver Model.

What video card do you have, Minesh?

I ask because recent cards from both ATI and nVidia offer features, through the manufacturer's control panel, to "span" across multiple monitors.  For example, note the section in the ATI Catalyst Control Center for EyeFinity operation:

If your video card pre-dates Eyefinity (or nVidia's version of same) perhaps this is an excuse for you to get a fast new video card.  They're not all that expensive.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Monday, December 26, 2011 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, December 26, 2011 10:29 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:07 PM

All replies

• It is also available with Windows 7.

Press the Windows Key plus P.

Then select extend.

• Edited by Lead3 Monday, December 26, 2011 6:21 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Extended desktop operation isn't the same as spanning, which logically makes the desktop look like one really big monitor to the apps.  Spanning is no longer supported as part of the basic Windows Display Driver Model.

What video card do you have, Minesh?

I ask because recent cards from both ATI and nVidia offer features, through the manufacturer's control panel, to "span" across multiple monitors.  For example, note the section in the ATI Catalyst Control Center for EyeFinity operation:

If your video card pre-dates Eyefinity (or nVidia's version of same) perhaps this is an excuse for you to get a fast new video card.  They're not all that expensive.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Monday, December 26, 2011 8:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Carey FrischMVP Monday, December 26, 2011 10:29 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:07 PM
  • I stand corrected. Thank you.
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:23 PM