none
MDT2012 - User selectable applications install order RRS feed

• Question

• My requirements are: I have 4 user selectable applications.  Call them App1, App2, App3 and Office. Users may select none or one of App1, App2, or App3 and then may select Office  (or may not).  Further, AppZ must install before App1, App2 or App3. I am drawing a blank.  Any ideas how to do this? 
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:59 PM

Answers

• My requirements are: I have 4 user selectable applications.  Call them App1, App2, App3 and Office. Users may select none or one of App1, App2, or App3 and then may select Office  (or may not).  Further, AppZ must install before App1, App2 or App3. I am drawing a blank.  Any ideas how to do this? 

You can use the Dependencies feature in for applications added to MDT. You can find more info via the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Documentation Library
    Configure the Application Properties Dependencies Tab

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:56 PM

All replies

You can use the Dependencies feature in for applications added to MDT. You can find more info via the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Documentation Library
    Configure the Application Properties Dependencies Tab

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Correct, dependencies are the most "foolproof" way to ensure that if AppA is dependent on AppZ, then the correct order will be maintained.

Additionally, the "order" by which the applications appear in the Litetouch Application Wizard will *also* affect how the applications are installed.

Another thing to consider is MandatoryApplications00X, where if you have applications that more or less need to be installed at all times, could be installed before regular user-optional applications.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Unfortunately, dependency only works were multiple apps are ALWAYS installed together.  In this case, App1, App2, or App3 are allowed to be install without Office.  Office is allowed to be installed without App1, App2 or App3.  But If Office and App1, App2 or App3 are installed, then Office MUST install first.

The reason for this is App1, App2 and App3 are security settings.  If any of them are installed before Office, Office will not be able to install.  Thus the requirement for Office to install before them.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 5:19 PM