When accessing RDP in UAG we get Error: "Your Computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Remote desktop Gateway server reached maximum allowed connection..." RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario is simple....

1.) RDP (userdefined or predefined) app is published in UAG.

2) It is working fine when we access them.

3) After some time it stops working and throws "Your Computer can't connect to the remote computer because the Remote desktop Gateway server reached maximum allowed connection..."

After detailed inspection I figured out following observations.

1) I did not see any suspicious elements in UAG bit tracing that is related to the error I are getting.

2) This error is related to Windows 2008 OS and its Remote Desktop Gateway Services' simultaneous maximum connection limit parameter(Maximum is 250), which UAG integrates in publishing RDP on the portal.

3) This has been again confirmed by bypassing UAG and allowing RDP connections to the internal server through Windows 2008 RDP Gateway.  

4) I manually set connections limit to just 10(it could be anything but less than 250) in RDP Gateway Manager and did these things thereafter,

a) I published RDP in the Portal
        b) Logged in the portal. Launched RDP 10 time. Kept portal and RDP idle and let it to be timeout eventually.
        c) Logged in the portal. Launched RDP 10 time . Gracefully logged out from the portal and from RDP.
        d) Logged in the portal. Launched RDP 10 time. Just clicked cross button in the browser to close portal page.

I RECEIVED SAME ERROR WHILE ATTEMTING ANOTHER RDP CONNECTION IN THE SCENARIO OF 'b' THAT IS "IDLE SESSION TIMEOUT."

5) At the same time when error displayed, I checked Web Monitor in UAG, but there was no active seesions on UAG. This means UAG removed session threads when logged off happened. Also in cases of 'c' and 'd'

6) At the same time when error displayed ,on RDP GW Manager in Windows 2008, there was no active connections present. As per the error it must show one active connection. But it did not.

7) Also there was no active connection present on the Actual RDP machine, to which I want to initiate RDP connection, published on the portal.

8) By restarting the Remote Desktop GW Services, resolved the issue
    It seems there are some 'ghost connections' thats keeps piling up and eventually it reach to 250 (maximum RDP Gateway connection limit), we get this error.
    Is there any way how we can permanently remove this type of occurrence ? Or it should not be require to restart the Gateway Service. Loose workaround is scheduling stop/start of tsgateway service. But we should avoid it as much as possible.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    rgds
    Ashu

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:02 PM

Answers