none
Predecessor Type and Lag Question RRS feed

• Question

• How do I set up Task2 to start on the same date as Task1, and end 3 weeks after Task1?

I know that I can just set the duration on Task2 to be 3 weeks longer than Task1, but this is not how I want it to work.  I want to be able to change the duration of Task1 and have Task2's end date update automatically.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

• Tom,

The technique also can be used with a single task by paste linking both start and finish. However, to get the 3 week delay, here is what you can do.

1. Create a milestone (zero duration) with a predecessor of Task1 with 3 weeks lag

2. Paste link the start of Task 1 to the start of Task 2

3. Paste link the finish of the milestone to the finish of Task 2.

As task 1 moves, the milestone will move with it and so will task 2.

However, now let me give you a caveat. Paste linking in project is fragile and if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline, the file can get corrupted. Instead of creating the hammock task, consider creating Task 2 in two parts. Task 2a has a start-to-start predecessor of Task 1 and the same duration as Task 1. Task 2b has a finish-to-start predecessor of Task 2a and a duration of 3 weeks.

John

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Tom,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Personally I think either way is "simple", but that's in the eye of the user I guess. If this has answered your question, please mark it as answered so it doesn't hang around as an open item.

John

• Marked as answer by tgitgi Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:30 PM

All replies

• thitgi,

You will need what is called a hammock task. Go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and take a look at FAQ 19 - hammock tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't think this is what I'm looking for because a hammock task is dependant on dates from TWO other tasks.

I just want Task2 to start on the same date as Task1, but finish 3 weeks later than Task1.

Tom I.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Tom,

The technique also can be used with a single task by paste linking both start and finish. However, to get the 3 week delay, here is what you can do.

1. Create a milestone (zero duration) with a predecessor of Task1 with 3 weeks lag

2. Paste link the start of Task 1 to the start of Task 2

3. Paste link the finish of the milestone to the finish of Task 2.

As task 1 moves, the milestone will move with it and so will task 2.

However, now let me give you a caveat. Paste linking in project is fragile and if not created and maintained with the utmost discipline, the file can get corrupted. Instead of creating the hammock task, consider creating Task 2 in two parts. Task 2a has a start-to-start predecessor of Task 1 and the same duration as Task 1. Task 2b has a finish-to-start predecessor of Task 2a and a duration of 3 weeks.

John

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:52 PM
  • John,

Thanks again for the additional informaiton.

I like your second suggestion, "Instead of creating the hammock task, consider creating Task 2 in two parts. Task 2a has a start-to-start predecessor of Task 1 and the same duration as Task 1. Task 2b has a finish-to-start predecessor of Task 2a and a duration of 3 weeks."

I thought there would be a simple say to accomplish this, but I can't figure it out.  So, splitting Task2 into 2 task will work fine.

Thanks.

Tom I.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Tom,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Personally I think either way is "simple", but that's in the eye of the user I guess. If this has answered your question, please mark it as answered so it doesn't hang around as an open item.

John

• Marked as answer by tgitgi Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:30 PM