Windows 10 File Explorer keeps restarting ...crashing, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 File Explorer keeps restarting.  over and over.  Not all the time, thank God, but at random moments, it just starts opening ...five, six, seven windows before it stops.  What causes this and how do I stop it from happening again?  Amazing that so many people have this problem and yet Microsoft is unable to provide a fix.  And please would everyone stop suggesting we try sfc /scannow, which is probably the single most useless suggestion in the history of all useless suggestions.  thanks.
    • Edited by prattden Tuesday, August 18, 2015 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I noticed that some users have exactly same issue. It appears to have been due to a startup program that was crashing Explorer, which would then of course restart and repeat the process.

First run “msconfig” check the startup program list, boot your system into clean boot mode then check the issue without taking any action. If the issue disappears, back to normal mode, then please stop the programs from startup one by one until you found the culprit.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows (also applies to Windows 10)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, August 31, 2015 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:38 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:31 AM

All replies

• same here , heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

I noticed that some users have exactly same issue. It appears to have been due to a startup program that was crashing Explorer, which would then of course restart and repeat the process.

First run “msconfig” check the startup program list, boot your system into clean boot mode then check the issue without taking any action. If the issue disappears, back to normal mode, then please stop the programs from startup one by one until you found the culprit.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows (also applies to Windows 10)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, August 31, 2015 6:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:38 AM
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 3:31 AM
  • If the issue disappears, back to normal mode, then please stop the programs from startup one by one until you found the culprit.

--I did what you told me(thanks). and file explorer works again, but I don't understand is the issue disappears how can I find the culprit? do you mean till next time it happens, not to solve it but try to stop the programs from startup one by one until find the culprit?

hope you can confirm it...Appreciated !!!

Friday, October 2, 2015 1:00 PM