Office 2013 Cannot open Meeting Invites From O365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are in an environment with users on Office 2013 Standard, and O365 Pro Plus.

Recently a user sent out a mass invitation to the office. This meeting invitation contained attachments. Some users on Office 2013 report that they get an error message when trying to open the meeting invitation.

I searched around and found a support article suggesting that I change a specific registry key: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options\Calendar\

Then, add a DWORD key called "AllowHTMLCalendarContent" and set the value to 1.

I added the key that it said to, but the problem persists. I haven't been able to find any more troubleshooting information on this error as the registry fix seems to have fixed the problem for most users.

Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you,
    Bryan

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

>> they get an error message when trying to open the meeting invitation.

Could you please provide mw with the error messgae?

Can these problematic users open a invitation without attachments normally?

>> I haven't been able to find any more troubleshooting information on this error as the registry fix seems to have fixed the problem for most users.

Do you mean that the way in this article has solved the issue for most of the problematic users but there are still some user in trouble? If so, it may take some time for the key to make sense, they may need to wait a while before restarting their Outlook.

If this registry value does not solve the problem of another part of the users, please make sure their Outlook clients have upgrade to the latest version. Then please try exiting Outlook desktop client and see if the meeting invitation can be opened on the web mail.

Besides, it is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software to check if the issue will be gone, because some antivirus programs perform email scanning may cause this issue.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:52 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thank you for the quick reply. 

Yes, the Users can open invites without attachments normally. 

The error message they see looks like this:

The error reads "Cannot open meeting item '[insert meeting name here]'"

Lastly, yes. That is the article I was referencing. All clients are up to date (15.0.4569.1506), and the registry key has been applied for more than 24 hours. 

These users are able to open the invitation on the web.

Thank you!
    Bryan M

Friday, October 25, 2019 3:13 PM
  • I have some additional insight. It appears that the users with this problem all have a second mailbox attached to their profile. Other users on 2013 without the secondary mailbox have no problem opening the invitations.

Not sure if this extra information is relevant but it's the only pattern I could find.

<style><br _moz_dirty="" /></style>

Friday, October 25, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your updates.

So how about creating a new profile and configure just the problematic account on it and see if the issue continues. If the issue disappears, then configured their second mailbox on the new profile and test.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, October 28, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Friday, November 1, 2019 8:46 AM