Why no download for evaluating POSReady 2009? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    I'm interested in having a hands-on play with POSReady 2009, but it seems I have to order a REAL piece of plastic which will cost me quite a lot to get shipped to the other side of the planet...

Why isn't there an ISO image available for download  & evaluation like most other MS products?

At this stage I'm seriously contemplating finding a naughty download on the web just to have a play with - I'd rather not talk to any local distributors/partners and get their hopes up yet until I see if the product has any real benefits for our mixture of hardware & software.
    Cheers,
    tU
    Friday, August 28, 2009 3:34 AM

Answers

• Evaluation media for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 has been added to the Microsoft Download Center at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1e077ece-3f19-4c41-b219-6fcc821fb5fc

This evaluation media is a CD ISO which contains a fully functional POSReady 2009 operating system, however does not contain the value add items found on the DVD which you can order from www.posready.com.  Additional items on the DVD include:

* Multilingual Interface Pack containing support for 32 languages
    * SQL Express 2008
    * .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    * Microsoft Office Word Viewer
    * Microsoft Office Excel Viewer
    * Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer
    * Silverlight 2.0

To install the Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 evaluation from the download center you will need to obtain a 120 day evaluation product key from www.posready.com.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:01 PM

All replies

• tU,

I have been told that we cannot provide a download as we do with the other embedded products because the POSReady DVD is bootable.  We certainly did try.  This allows us to boot directly from the DVD for installing directly onto a target device. 

You can order a POSReady evaluation through http://www.posready.com if you do not want to contact a local distributor.

Are there any specific questions that we can help you determine if POSReady will satisfy your needs?  You may want to take a look at some of the posts to our blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/pointofservice/, many of them describe the functionality of the product.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Friday, August 28, 2009 1:46 PM
  • Hi Terry
    I'm confused by your response.
    Presently, I can (and have done so) download an ISO image of:

Windows Server 2008 (time trial evaluation)
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate
    Windows 7 Release Candidate
    Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate

All of which I can burn to a DVD myself, giving me a bootable media as you say "for installing directly onto a target device"
    I then just request the requisite key from Microsoft using my Live ID, allowing a trial/evaluation of the product.

Why does Microsoft not provide a similar evaluation scheme for POSReady 2009?
    There must be a reason or key difference with POSReady 2009 compared to the other MS products listed above - I just don't understand what the reason is...

Yes, I'm aware I can order the eval "kit" online - as I said above it will cost me quite a bit to get the piece of plastic shipped to the other side of the planet.
    An ISO image download saves what is really a pointless (arcane) postage of a piece of plastic surely?

I don't have any specific questions at this stage no. I possibly will have specific questions after I've had a hands-on play with it...
    Cheers,
    theUtmost

Monday, September 7, 2009 1:37 AM
  • theUtmost,

I was not involved in the decision making, but rather just relaying the information that I received.  I will ask for clarification and provide an update shortly.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:25 PM

• Evaluation media for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 has been added to the Microsoft Download Center at:  http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1e077ece-3f19-4c41-b219-6fcc821fb5fc

This evaluation media is a CD ISO which contains a fully functional POSReady 2009 operating system, however does not contain the value add items found on the DVD which you can order from www.posready.com.  Additional items on the DVD include:

* Multilingual Interface Pack containing support for 32 languages
    * SQL Express 2008
    * .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    * Microsoft Office Word Viewer
    * Microsoft Office Excel Viewer
    * Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer
    * Silverlight 2.0

To install the Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 evaluation from the download center you will need to obtain a 120 day evaluation product key from www.posready.com.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Thanks Terry!
    I appreciate your help in getting that available online :)
    Cheers,
    tU
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Hi Terry

I went to the www.posready.com website, and there is not a trial key link in site - I've looked all over the place for the trial key

so I can activate this evaluation version that I ordered. I wish they would just send it with the receipt or email it to me.

I have wasted a lot of time looking for this .

Kurt

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hi Terry

I went to the www.posready.com website, and there is not a trial key link in site - I've looked all over the place for the trial key

so I can activate this evaluation version that I ordered. I wish they would just send it with the receipt or email it to me.

I have wasted a lot of time looking for this .

Kurt

I am having the same problem as ^Kurt^. I have looked on the www.posready.com site, which no longer exists, it redirects me to a microsoft webpage, and there are NO LINKS TO THE EVALUATION ACTIVATION CODES. HELP!
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:18 PM
  • I have contacted our WebMaster to resolve the issue with the Evaluation Key request form.  When they rolled out the new look, they forgot to include the link to the Evaluation Key.

Please check back next week as the link should be re-established shortly.

Thank you

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:21 PM
  • The request form for a Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 Evaluation Product Key has been re-established on the NEW Windows Embedded website.  You can find the link from Downloads - POSReady 2009 page.  Here is a direct link to the current location.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/downloads/download-windows-embedded-posready-2009.aspx

Please note, this link may change overtime as changes are made to the website.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft

Terry Warwick Microsoft
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:55 PM
  • Will it be possible to activate a POSReady 2009 Evaluation OS with a real key?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:29 AM
  • You have to get the final bits from a distributor. Please contact your distributor for more information.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:49 PM