Primary SCCM Site (No CAS) Remote SQL RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to install an SCCM primary site, no CAS, with a remote installation of SQL.

As I go through the installation process I select Primary Site, no CAS.  I also provide it the Fully Qualified Domain Name of the SQL server.

During the status check I got several SQL errors so I looked at the log file.  For some reason the installation process is looking for SQL on the local SCCM machine and not on the remote SQL server I provided during the installation process.

Why is the installation looking for the SQL instance local and not on the remote server?

Setting information:

I am able to connect to the SQL Server from the SCCM server and Firewall is completely turned off.  I am using SQL 2008R2 with CU6 on the remote SQL server.

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:08 PM

Answers

• I discovered what the issue was.  During the Install Wizard there is a Radio button to select Primary Site installation.  Under that is a check box for a standard Stand-Alone primary Site installation.  Part of the "Standard Stand-Alone Primary Site" is the auto selection of using a local SQL server.

After I re-ran this installation without checking the checkbox it used the remote SQL server location during the installation.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help.

• Marked as answer by TE2011 Friday, July 6, 2012 8:31 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 8:31 PM

All replies

• Do you use default sql server instance for the CM12 installation? When no you should specify it when installing CM12. 

BTW the supported SQL version is SQL Server 2K8 R2 SP1 CU6,  SQL Server 2K8 SP2 CU9, or SQL Server 2K8 SP3 CU4

• Edited by dekac99 Monday, July 2, 2012 2:34 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Hello Dekac,

Yes I am attempting to use the default SQL Server Instance, but on the remote server.

I failed to put the SP1 in my description, but yes I am using SQL 2K8 R2 SP1 CU6

• Edited by TE2011 Monday, July 2, 2012 2:43 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2012 2:38 PM
  • What's in C:\ConfigMgrSetup.log and ConfigMgrPrereq.log?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Did you change the default Instance ID from MSSQLSERVER to something else? When yes you should specify it when installing CM12.
    Monday, July 2, 2012 3:02 PM
  • I discovered what the issue was.  During the Install Wizard there is a Radio button to select Primary Site installation.  Under that is a check box for a standard Stand-Alone primary Site installation.  Part of the "Standard Stand-Alone Primary Site" is the auto selection of using a local SQL server.

After I re-ran this installation without checking the checkbox it used the remote SQL server location during the installation.

Thanks for everyone's interest and help.

• Marked as answer by TE2011 Friday, July 6, 2012 8:31 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2012 8:31 PM