locked
Issues with Sharepoint Timer Job - Sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

  • Question

  • HI,

    The previous instance of the timer job 'Immediate Alerts', id '{D1F15740-4A56-4681-8C12-1DFBF346323B}' for service '{D12E5BA0-2EB5-4CDD-A839-B1BD0CA7117B}' is still running, so the current instance will be skipped.  Consider increasing the interval between jobs.

    Sharepoint alerts are not working for one  particular site collection in a server farm . Upon investigation i found the above error in the sharepoint log.

    The Timer Job for  this particular site collection runs just once("Last Rum Time" under Job Properties), only after the "windows share point timer service" restart  even though it is supposed run every 5 minutes.

    Once i click OK button after creating alert using Alert Me Option,  it takes so long  and at the end times out after 30 mins. But i see the alert is being added to user alerts and  even in immediate subscriptions table in content database.  I am not even getting notification that alert has been created.

    The site collection is newly created  but recently i have moved couple of subsites under this site from a different sitecollection  using STSADM  IMPORT EXPORT . I am not sure if this has created any issues 

    i have validated all the troubleshooting steps given in the forum but everything looks fine , the problem is with only one site collection out of 15  site collections the server farm has.

    Any suggestions would be of great help.

    Thanks,

    Manjunath





    • Edited by manjunath_6 Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:24 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:09 PM

Answers

  • Hi Manjunath,

    It seems you need to reset cache.ini file, though your alerts are working for other site collections please follow below step and let us know your results.

    >> Stop "Windows SharePoint Services Timer service" from services console
    >> Stop "Windows SharePoint Services Administration service" from services console
    >> Navigate to "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\ <GUID>" folder
    >> Back up and delete all XML files
    >> Open Cache.ini in notepad and change the value to "1"
    >> Close it and start above services


    Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    • Marked as answer by manjunath_6 Friday, August 31, 2012 10:01 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:56 PM

All replies

  • Hi Manjunath,

    It seems you need to reset cache.ini file, though your alerts are working for other site collections please follow below step and let us know your results.

    >> Stop "Windows SharePoint Services Timer service" from services console
    >> Stop "Windows SharePoint Services Administration service" from services console
    >> Navigate to "Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\SharePoint\Config\ <GUID>" folder
    >> Back up and delete all XML files
    >> Open Cache.ini in notepad and change the value to "1"
    >> Close it and start above services


    Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    • Marked as answer by manjunath_6 Friday, August 31, 2012 10:01 AM
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi Pratik,

    Thank you very much for your suggestion. It works.

     Before posting the query here  i have done these steps on all the servers but one after the other which did not work ,  but  now i did it on all the web servers at a time which did a wonder.

    But i am still left with few  minor issues  :  

     My site takes it so long to process  once i create an alert and click OK   and Eventually times out after 30 mins , but I see the alerts are getting added and they are  working fine .

    Any suggestions why does it times out after adding the alert  and not sending the  notifications for the created alert.

    The site does not have any custom code built into it.

    Thanks,

    Manjunath

    Friday, August 31, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

    From you question I understood that when you try to create an alert on site it takes 30 min on the same window and then then page shows timed out page, right? correct me if I am wrong.

    How many servers you have in farm ?


    Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/ | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

    Friday, August 31, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Hi ,

    It gets stuck at this point once i click OK.

    and throws below message exactly after 60 mins on the same window(it is not 30 mins as i mentioned earlier) .

    We have 3 servers on the farm( 2  for serving user requests and the third one for all maintenance activities)

    Thanks,

    Manjunath


    • Edited by manjunath_6 Friday, August 31, 2012 5:48 PM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

    in my case I had issues with Information Management Policies. I have assigned an expiration policy to a document library, but the timerjob did not seem to run although it was configured.

    The following did the trick:

    stsadm -o activatefeature -name RecordsManagement -force

    How to configure the schedule:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262865.aspx

    Now the expiration timerjob runs on schedule again :)

    Sven

    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:44 AM