Vista slow expanding C drive or subfolders RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Vista Machine. Clicking on the C drive it is very slow to expand,  Also sub folders are slow to expand. Network drives are even slower. I have checked Use Windows Classic folders and unchecked thumbnails but it is still slow.  What else should I change it to make it as fast as my XP machine was?

Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi CrisR, you can try the following performance tips on this kind of issue:

1.       Open Power Options (its in the Control Panel) and then place a dot next to High Performance.

2.       Open Device Manager (its in the Control Panel) and then right-click on your hard drive (under Disk Drives).  Click on "Policies" and make sure there are check marks next to "Optimize for Performance", "Enable write caching on the disk", and "Enable advanced performance", then click OK.

3.       Perform a Disk Cleanup:

Click on the blue Vista start button and then on the Computer entry in the Start Menu.  Right-click on  your hard drive and select Properties > Disk Cleanup > Files from all users..... More Options > Clean Up (System Restore and Shadow Copies).

4.       Consider installing addition RAM up to 2GB.  Having  a total of 2GB RAM installed will significantly improve overall performance.

Hope this helps!

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:15 AM