none
Creating unattend.xml for Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a new unattend.xml file for Windows 8.1 

Upgraded to MDT 2013 and ADK 8.1.

MDT is failing to create an XML file. Tried using Windows System Image Manager and failing as well. The log states "1:43 PM : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK."

When i am looking version of Windows System Image Manager, the version is 6.3.9600.16384.

What am i missing?

Thank you.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:05 PM

Answers

• Finally found a solution, I had to use a windows 8.1 computer (virtual) and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Preview

THis does not make sense to me, if you are getting an error message asking for  6.3.9600.16384, why would you downgrade to WIndows 8.1 preview which is build 9431?

Please be aware that there are *MULTIPLE* sub-versions of 6.3.9600. *AND* there are several versions of the Windows 8.1 ADK. Uninstall the current ADK and re-install the new ADK if you have problems.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:35 AM

All replies

• Perhaps a few questions will reveal something.

What version of Windows 8 have you imported? (Pro,ent? x86?)

Did you upgrade the share or create a new one?

Did you create a new task sequence?

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 9:12 PM
  • The exe version is 6.3.9431.0. From WindowsBlue-ClientwithApps-64bit-English-X1899605 ISO. And MDT named is "Windows 8 Pro in Windows 8 Pro x64 install.wim

And I upgraded the the deployment share.

And a new Task sequence is created.

I think task sequence is not the problem here as Windows System Image Manager is failing to create an xml file as well.

Thank you,

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 11:11 AM
  • Finally found a solution, I had to use a windows 8.1 computer (virtual) and install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1 Preview

If you use the regular 8.1 version it will not work even on a windows 8.1 computer

Also I extracted the install.wim from within windows 8.1 by mounting the iso. Note: this method keep the readonly attribute option on so make sure to remove it.

I download the ADK 8.1 preview from microsoft using this link :

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=39306

hope this help other in the future.
    Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:28 PM
  • I'm getting exactly the same error, but the Win81 ADK preview is no longer available from that link.

Anybody got any other fixes, or an alternative download site please - it's really frustrating...

Friday, June 13, 2014 4:06 PM
  • Check the encoding of Unattend.xml. Save as UTF-8 if it is not.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 4:25 PM

THis does not make sense to me, if you are getting an error message asking for  6.3.9600.16384, why would you downgrade to WIndows 8.1 preview which is build 9431?

Please be aware that there are *MULTIPLE* sub-versions of 6.3.9600. *AND* there are several versions of the Windows 8.1 ADK. Uninstall the current ADK and re-install the new ADK if you have problems.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, February 16, 2015 6:35 AM
  • I have tried so many things now and it still is not working...

I am also encountering the problem that MDT 2013 can't generate a catalog for a captured .wim file...

When I import a Windows image from a DVD with full set of source files it is ok to edit the unattend.xml file, the MDT doesn't want to generate a catalog file because it seems to be presente already, so far so good. Then I have managed to install and update Windows with Windows Updates and then captured it successfully. I am able to add the captured .wim file into MDT but when I want to edit the unattend.xml *from the Task Sequence tab OS info* the MDT tries to generate a new catalog file but fails.

I have installed Windows Server 2012 R2 x64, and on that installed MDT 2013 64 and ADK x64. I have read that I need x86 version of the SIM to handle x86 versions of Windows, but I have tried both x86 and x64 with the same negative result. I am logged on as Administrator and I have  full access to my captures and they are on my local hard drive(s), I've already checked that.

Operating system description from the OS info tab for one of my captured images: Windows IBS image
    Build: 6.1.7601.18839
    Platform: x64

The log from Microsoft.BDD.Catalog40.exe, small excerpt from the beginning of the log file: (please note that my MDT version is right now Version: 6.2.5019.0
    and I am running version 6.3.9600.17029 of ADK (at least the SIM is that version. Do you think I need to downgrade to version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK for this to work? The preview link above provided by Cividan is no longer available).

Ok, again as I said, here is the log file excerpt:

"23:42 : This application requires version 6.3.9600.16384 of the Windows ADK.
    Install this version to correct the problem
    23:45 :
    23:45 : Windows SIM was unable to generate a catalog. For troubleshooting

assistance, see the topic: 'Windows System Image Manager Technical Reference'

in the Windows ADK User's Guide.
    23:45 :
    23:45 : System.InvalidOperationException: The location does not contain a valid

Windows image or contains files that cannot be opened with read/write

privileges. If E:\Captures from Hyper-V\CapturedWin7HPx64.wim is a shared

location, verify you have read/write access to the location."

The .wim is on my servers hard drive and I have checked my rights. Why do you think I get this problem? I have also tried to install Win7 x86 and x64 in Hyper-V just with the ADK to try to generate new catalog files of the .wim, and I have in this scenario made sure that I have a copy on the virtual hard drive and not on a network share, so everything is still local, but I get the same message! Why? In the SIM neither when I add the .wim or when I go via Tools to create a catalog Works.

There is one thing that has come to my mind and that is that when I made the image I had one C drive and one D drive, could this be the problem?

I have searched and read the internet for hours and hours trying to find the solution for this, I have tried to replace the "Install OS" in the TS instead of the captured image using the BaseOS in the TS section Install OS, this has been working to install with MDT with full set of sources, but believe it or not the MDT still could not find a catalog. I have added the original HomePremium x64 catalog into SIM first from DVD, saved as unattend.xml in the corresponding Control folder for this Task Sequence, saved it but still no luck, same thing. I have more and complete logs from what I have tried if you want to see! I could post it to you if you need.

I have even copied the original catalog home premium file from the DVD into the folder for my captured home premium version and tried to see if that would work but it didn't!

Please help me, this is so strange for me that it is not working and I am running out of ideas on what to do next!

Friday, May 15, 2015 4:20 AM
  • When you import a full official OS from DVD, I'd recommend against changing anything in the unattend (unless absolutely needed) because your going to be using this to create a reference image and sysprep it. After you create and capture your reference image, you then import that and then feel free to edit the unattend, but anything you can accomplish in your task sequence should be done there instead of editing unattend where it can be harder to find and track your changes, plus it's easy to copy and paste from one TS to another.

As for 32bit images on a 64bit host, you'll need to setup a VM with a 32bit OS or setup a physical machine running a 32bit OS. On that computer, install the ADK (no need for MDT). Open WSIM and open the WIM (Select Windows Image), to which it will start building the CLG file. Once it's done you can close it and copy the catalog (if you didn't open the wim from your DS) over to your deployment share. Now you'll be able to edit the unattend from MDT on your 64bit system.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, May 15, 2015 4:16 PM