Coexistence OWA, MAPI and ActiveSync - Exchange 2010 cross-forest migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I am doing a migration of two Exchange 2010 organizations, the organization, with Exchange 2010, which is working for years and the organization B, a new forest with Exchange 2010.

Both organizations share the same namespace in the e-mail SMTP and MX Cams.

This migration planning, with the steps described in some guides
    1. Trust relationship between forests
    2. script preparemoverequest.ps1
    3. ADMT v3.2
    My question is, when connected to the system, a mailbox that has been migrated. As you connect to OWA externally? redirect the client access to OWA users to the target forest?

Users MAPI, internal connections redigiran alone? the autodiscover work?

ActiveSync users, you must perform some configuration to work once migrated?

thank you very much

Microsoft Certified IT Professional Server Administrator

Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:25 PM

Answers

• There is no way to have OWA automatically redirect without setting up an organizational relationship between the two organizations, and honestly I can't help you with that unless one of the organizations is Office 365.

Autodiscover will look to the organization where the DNS record points it.  Without the organizational relationship I mentioned, there's no way for one organization to know about the other.

Same for ActiveSync.

You can overcome all of this to some extent by configuring clients manually and skipping Autodiscover.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:16 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi JC79,

Ed is correct.

OWA redirect and proxy only occurs within Exchange organization. This is because Exchange server need to detect the mailbox location of user who is trying to access via OWA/ActiveSync/MAPI and then redirect/proxy the access request to the target server. The detection may fail if user mailbox is resided in another forest.

You may check the OWA access process in “How do my Exchange 2007/2003 users that are located in the "Internet Facing AD Site" access their mailboxes?” In http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/12/02/upgrading-outlook-web-app-to-exchange-2010.aspx

I think we can only ask users to change their OWA/activesync url manually.

For more information, refer to:

Understanding Proxying and Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx

Transitioning Client Access to Exchange Server 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/11/20/3408856.aspx

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:34 AM

All replies

• There is no way to have OWA automatically redirect without setting up an organizational relationship between the two organizations, and honestly I can't help you with that unless one of the organizations is Office 365.

Autodiscover will look to the organization where the DNS record points it.  Without the organizational relationship I mentioned, there's no way for one organization to know about the other.

Same for ActiveSync.

You can overcome all of this to some extent by configuring clients manually and skipping Autodiscover.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:12 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi Ed, you really can not make any automatic mechanism that migrated users, can access the system automatically through OWA, MAPI and ActiveSync?

In migration where there are thousands of users, how this coexistence is achieved, which can last for months?

It's crazy to make these changes manually with many users

regards

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi JC79,

Ed is correct.

OWA redirect and proxy only occurs within Exchange organization. This is because Exchange server need to detect the mailbox location of user who is trying to access via OWA/ActiveSync/MAPI and then redirect/proxy the access request to the target server. The detection may fail if user mailbox is resided in another forest.

You may check the OWA access process in “How do my Exchange 2007/2003 users that are located in the "Internet Facing AD Site" access their mailboxes?” In http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/12/02/upgrading-outlook-web-app-to-exchange-2010.aspx

I think we can only ask users to change their OWA/activesync url manually.

For more information, refer to:

Understanding Proxying and Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763.aspx

Transitioning Client Access to Exchange Server 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2009/11/20/3408856.aspx

Fiona Liao

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:34 AM
  • Hi Sharon, thanks for answering. I will read all the documentation I've indicated, I will comment in case.

Thank you!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:44 AM
  • Few do that kind of migraton, to be honest.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 12:46 AM
  • Please correct me;

I have to make an Organization Relationship Exchange 2010 between Exchange 2007 to Coexistence OWA, ECP virtual directory (Crossforest migration)

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:46 AM
  • Why OWA redirection doesn't work in a cross-forest scenario? What is the advice for cross-forest migration?
    • Edited by Vlad Ramon Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 1:49 PM