How to setup subdomain DNS in Windows Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a Windows VPS from godaddy with Self Managed option. I want to use it for website hosting purpose. I thought it would be easier to setup the IIS and DNS etc, but now its looking tough as programming job. :)

Somehow, I have managed to setup the IIS and DNS and made the main website live.

Now I want to add subdomain so I have added Host(A) record, but ping shows the 'host could not found "dev.example.com". DNS details are here.

I am not sure further what I need to do. I had purchased the domain from a different vendor. My apologies, I think just missing some basic concepts. Thanks

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you mean that you use VPN to access to your website?

If so, you need to check the DNS server used by the VPN client.

Just like Grim said, you are not a public DNS provider.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:00 AM

All replies

• you are not a public DNS provider; work with godaddy, the ISP your VPS is under and your domain certificate provider. 
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:29 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that you use VPN to access to your website?

If so, you need to check the DNS server used by the VPN client.

Just like Grim said, you are not a public DNS provider.

Best regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Travis

Monday, December 24, 2018 9:19 AM