none
Missing sent items / Windows 7 profile RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having a problem with a user having missing sent items within Outlook 2007.

The user is using Outlook 2007 with Exhchange 2007 on a Windows 7 machine.

The user reported that when she sends an email it SOMETIMES does not show in her sent items. I will explain what I have done so far. I have isolated an email that she sent to an internal user that did not appear in her sent items. I have resent this to myself (external email address) and this also did NOT appear in the sent items. I used this email to carry out tests after making the following changes.

1 - I can seen that another internal user has received the email and this is shown on the exchange message tracking. However the email is not in the sent items. I have run a search of the sent item in the whole mailbox, other mailboxes and pst files that she has access to within Outlook, deleted items and the recover deleted items section.

2 - I have removed any 3rd party devices away from the mailbox, such as blackberry, iphone etc

3 - She only has a MAPI connection to the mailbox.

4 - Thinking this a rule related problem, I have removed the rules completly and this has not resolved the issue. I have also followed the link below regarding the rules as well as this has not resolved it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924297

5 - I have created a new Outlook profile

It is also worth pointing out that we also have terminal server access on a Windows Server 2003 server. The roaming profile for when users log onto the terminal server is different to when they log onto their local machines. To confirm, users have a completely separate profile to their local machines.

When I login as the user on the terminal server, the problem does NOT exist. The email that was used for testing appears in the sent items. This does not occur on the local machine. It would seem therefore it might be profile related.

I have logged in as the user on another Windows 7 machine and the problem still occurs. This leads to beleive that the problem is NOT with the machine or Outlook profile but with the Windows profile?!?!

I cannot see how the Windows 7 profile would cause problems, however this problem does seem to correlate to when she was given  a new machine (XP machine was replaced by a Windows 7 machine).

Does anyone know how a Windows 7 profile would affect this problem in any way?

Many thanks,

Luke

Friday, September 9, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• Keith, the issue still appeared after Luke tried to create a new profile and switch to another windows 7 client machine. So I think it won’t make a different even if he unchecks the cache mode option

Quote: “I have logged in as the user on another Windows 7 machine and the problem still occurs. This leads to beleive that the problem is NOT with the machine or Outlook profile but with the Windows profile?!?!”

I don’t think it’s windows profile related as the profile should be completely different after you created a new one on a new workstation. Instead, I think the cause is still on the mailbox itself as the symptom persists on the same mailbox with different machines

Does the mail also appear when you login via OWA?

Please backup all items of “Sent Items” folder from OST into PST file via roaming profile logon, delete “Sent Items” folder by using MFCMAPI with “Permanent delete” option, and then relaunch outlook with the following command:

Outlook.exe / resetfolders

Which kind of Anti-Virus software has been installed on the client machine? I assume that all your client machines are imaged to the same software environment. Please disable all the firewall, Anti-Virus software or third party services on the client, and then check the issue again

Please check if there’s any different service or software will be enabled or disabled between local profile logon and roaming profile logon

James Luo

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, September 19, 2011 2:18 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:30 AM

All replies

• Make sure that there is no restricted view applied to the Sent Items folder.
    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Friday, September 9, 2011 7:21 PM
  • i have same problem too, please help.
    [url="http://www.germantruckmods.com"]germantruckmods.com - German truck simulator mods, maps, interiors, trucks, trailers, bus'es[/url]
    Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:43 PM
  • Is Outlook on her computer set to use cached exchange mode, and if it is, is the location of her .ost file within her roaming profile?

The only times I've seen behaviour similar to what you report has been where there is corruption of the ost file. If her out is using cached mode then I'd suggest turning off cached mode and then seeing if the message re-appears. If it does (and you want to re-enable cached mode) then find and either delete or rename the ost file before re-enabling cached mode, which will then force a new cache to be created and populated rather than using the existing corrupt file.

Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Ed,

It pretty sure it isn't a restricted view issue. Only that when I log onto the terminal server with a different windows profile, the email that has been sent (which is missing) does not appear.

Keith - Cached mode is not enabled. 

Any other ideas?

Luke

Monday, September 12, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Keith, the issue still appeared after Luke tried to create a new profile and switch to another windows 7 client machine. So I think it won’t make a different even if he unchecks the cache mode option

Quote: “I have logged in as the user on another Windows 7 machine and the problem still occurs. This leads to beleive that the problem is NOT with the machine or Outlook profile but with the Windows profile?!?!”

I don’t think it’s windows profile related as the profile should be completely different after you created a new one on a new workstation. Instead, I think the cause is still on the mailbox itself as the symptom persists on the same mailbox with different machines

Does the mail also appear when you login via OWA?

Please backup all items of “Sent Items” folder from OST into PST file via roaming profile logon, delete “Sent Items” folder by using MFCMAPI with “Permanent delete” option, and then relaunch outlook with the following command:

Outlook.exe / resetfolders

Which kind of Anti-Virus software has been installed on the client machine? I assume that all your client machines are imaged to the same software environment. Please disable all the firewall, Anti-Virus software or third party services on the client, and then check the issue again

Please check if there’s any different service or software will be enabled or disabled between local profile logon and roaming profile logon

James Luo

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, September 19, 2011 2:18 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 8:30 AM
  • How's the issue currently? Any further information?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:39 AM