Unable to export<-->Import contacts Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I can see this has been asked many times but am unable to find a resolution for my issue.

I have a member of staff at a small charity I support who is moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have installed Office 2010 on the Windows 10 machine. I configured their email account using Outlook 2010 (it is the same account on both machines) and it works fine. I have exported the contacts from Outlook 2010 on the Win7 machine using File > Open > Export and have created DOS and Windows .csv files.

When I chose the same procedure to import the contacts into Outlook 2010 on the Windows 10 machine the progress dialog is displayed, then Outlook closes and re-opens, but the contacts are not there.

I have tried tried importing both DOS and Windows .csv files. I have checked the mapping and the mapping is identical  (obviously). I have opened the .csv files in Excel and can see all the data - first/last name, initials, addresses etc. The data is there. One proposed solution was to create a sub-folder under Contacts and to import to that folder, but again, no contacts appear.

Can anyone assist me with this, please?

Thank you.

Mark

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 1:46 PM

All replies

• Why are you exporting and importing in the first place?
    You can directly reuse the pst-file that you used on the old computer on the new computer as well.

File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 2:50 PM
  • Thank you for replying.

As the account had already been set up and was now different from the original (it has been in use for several days), I assumed importing contacts would be a trivial matter. As it was not I sought help from these forums.

Is there something that may be hindering the contacts import? I've done this several times in the past and have not had issues - but that was between Win7 machines.

Anyone know what the problem might be here, please?

Thank you.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 7:22 PM
  • Hi Mark,

How many contacts in this .csv file? Is it too large?

We can import this .csv file to another Outlook client to see if contacts can be imported correctly.

Besides, instead of using a .csv file, we can also export contacts to a .pst file and then try importing it again.

If issue still occurs to this client, we can try opening Outlook in safe mode. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

What’s the account type in new Outlook client? If the local data file was corrupted, we may not import contacts. Please follow the steps in this article to repair data files to see if it helps.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:39 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, June 7, 2019 5:40 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 2:37 AM
  • Hi Mark,

How is everything going on with this issue? Can you import contacts now?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you,

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:30 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:30 AM
    Monday, June 10, 2019 6:59 AM
  • Hi, folks

Sorry for the delay responding, but I have had no feedback from the people concerned concerning an opportunity to fix it. As soon as I have had another attempt I will let you know.

Thanks!

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:32 PM
  • No problem~

Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:30 AM
  • OK

I exported the contacts only to a .pst file and imported that to the new laptop. The import process was much longer than before and the contacts now appear in a Contacts folder off the relevant email account node in the tree in the left hand pane.

However, the Address Book is still empty even after restarting Outlook.

When I select the Contacts folder and sort them they all appear with a heading of *name of account* beneath which is the details of the contact. However, sorting by To: does not sort them alphabetically.

Does anyone know how I can get the Contacts to display in the Address Book and how to be able to sort them in a meaningful manner, please?

Thanks.

Mark

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:43 PM

• Does anyone know how I can get the Contacts to display in the Address Book and how to be able to sort them in a meaningful manner, please?

Thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Normally, to enabling the Contacts folder as an address book, we can right-click the folder, choose Properties from the pop-up menu, and switch to the Outlook Address Book tab.

Check the box for Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book.

You’ll find more details in this article.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

>>When I select the Contacts folder and sort them they all appear with a heading of *name of account* beneath which is the details of the contact. 

What do you mean by "a heading of name of account"?

To change how contacts are sorted, we can switch to List view and then click File As to show your contacts alphabetically.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:24 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Thanks for that. The person using the laptop is now on leave so I will send them this solution which they can try when they return to work 2nd week of July.

Regarding you second query, when I select the Contacts folder the entries are listed as follows - assume the name of the Outlook account is Jane Black:

Jane Black
    admin@gorple.org

Jane Black
    pete.tork@trusdle.com

Jane Black
    martinG@frihktle.co.uk

I would have expected to see the name of the contact as the heading, not the name of the Outlook account that hosts the contacts folder.

• Edited by Mark-Blood Friday, June 21, 2019 6:36 AM clarity
    Friday, June 21, 2019 6:35 AM
  • Hi Mark,

As you expected the contact names to be shown in other format (i.e. by name of contact).

You can change the format of your contact names
    1) Click File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    2) On the Address Books tab, pick the address book you want to change the name format for, and then click Change.
    3) Under Show names by, pick File As (Mark, John).

OR you can also change single contact names:
    1)Double-click the contact you want to change.
    2)In the box to the right of File as, click the drop-down arrow and pick the format you want.
    3)Click Save & Close.
    Take help of this thread if it sorts the display issue:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/change-how-contacts-are-sorted-e5fc2d01-2a15-46fe-90f2-b8ebea8f1b29 

• Edited by JerryFrey Monday, June 24, 2019 4:49 AM
    • Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, June 24, 2019 4:53 AM remove third-party link
    Monday, June 24, 2019 4:49 AM
  • Hi Mark,

What's the view of this Contact folder? 

Normally, under People view, contacts will be showed as follows:

Would you mind providing a screenshot for further research?

Regards,

Perry

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:00 AM