none
Bios update mdt

All replies

• Yes, it is possible.  Without manufacturer and model information, we can only assist so much, as it primarily depends on the manufacturers specific tool(s) and ability to silence the BIOS installs.  Moreover, quite a bit depends on if you want to do it in PE or full OS, if you want to change settings associated with the new BIOS, and so on.

LawsonT

Thursday, August 9, 2018 2:30 PM
  • Hi,

I have lenovo and hp pc's 

Thanks 

Friday, August 10, 2018 5:50 AM
  • Upgrading BIOS can be a confusing process since it is highly vendor specific and involves a bit of research. Personally, I am using Mikael Nystrom's script and silent switches usually found in the vendor's documentation. For example, to upgrade an HP machine, you would probably use something along these lines:

HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe -s -p"C:\temp\password.bin" -b -r'

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, August 13, 2018 12:15 PM
  • I have this in place in my deployment share for all the Dell models we support.

The first thing to do is determine what models you'll be supporting, acquire the BIOS installers, and figure out the command line switches to suppress reboots and install silently.  For Dell BIOS installers that's /s and /f.  Once you have that, import the installers as applications into MDT.  Create a folder to put them in first, and uncheck Enable this folder in the properties; otherwise they'll show in the Application wizard.

Next, in customsettings.ini, set a task sequence variable BIOSUpdated=NO

Then you need to set up Install Application tasks in the task sequence, with conditions to ensure that models get matched with the correct BIOS, and furthermore to ensure that a BIOS update can only occur if the version to be installed is newer than the version already installed on the machine.  Then you need a Set Task Sequence Variable task to set the BIOSInstaller=YES

Mine looks like so:

So then, the Dell folder has the following condition, to ensure that only Dell computers proceed to the next folder:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Manufacturer LIKE '%Dell%'

The Latitude folder has this condition:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE '%Latitude%'

Finally, the model-specific folder has two necessary conditions:

If all conditions are true

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE '%E5250%'

SELECT * from WIN32_BIOS where SMBIOSBIOSVersion < "A19"

Therefore, if I image a Dell Latitude E5250, the BIOS will only get installed if the already-installed version is earlier than version A19, which is the version of the installer imported into MDT

Once you've built the whole tree, put in a Restart Computer task, contingent on BIOSUpdated=YES.  That way you won't have to reboot if the BIOS wasn't updated.

That's a quick and dirty of how mine is set up.  I find it works about 85% of the time.  Be advised though, you have to keep abreast of BIOS releases, and testing them, if you want this to be useful.  Also fair warning (although this only happened once):  I bricked a laptop when testing this a few years ago.  Warranty support fixed it, but just be careful.

• Proposed as answer by Atreus21 Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:24 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 2:34 PM