none
2016 Essentials PCs not appearing under Network

Question

• I saw this issue addressed for home networks using Windows 10 but nothing for Windows 10 in a Server 2016 Essentials environment. As a result, the solution offered does not apply to my situation.

I have a Dell T100 server with Essentials and 3 connected Windows 10 Optiplex 3040 machines. I've had an issue with one of the PCs where a system file was apparently corrupt which left me with little alternative but to reload Windows. I naturally used the Connector to connect to the server.

In completing user account setup I cannot see the server or any other PCs under Network. I can map drives as long as I type in the full path but cannot use Browse to complete the same task.  The other PC in this office displays all 4 computers as it should.

As I mentioned, the solution on other thread(s) was to go to Settings->Network and Internet->Ethernet->Change Adapter Options and select "Find Devices & Content does not help since that option is not there.

The build on this PC is 17763.316. So far I have not found that option or any other helpful directions. Your help is greatly appreciated!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, June 1, 2019 9:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that Windows 10 unable to discover other devices on the same network. 

If possible, please patch the Windows 10 fully with latest update – May 21, 2019—KB4497934 (OS Build OS 17763.529):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497934

Then, re-start system and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JackGold7236 Monday, June 17, 2019 11:55 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, my understanding is that Windows 10 unable to discover other devices on the same network. 

If possible, please patch the Windows 10 fully with latest update – May 21, 2019—KB4497934 (OS Build OS 17763.529):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497934

Then, re-start system and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JackGold7236 Monday, June 17, 2019 11:55 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Hi Eva,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to the problem computer. I had cataract surgery on one eye but I can't see up close clearly in the other eye so I'm kind of down for the count....

I did apply the update you recommended and followed your instuctions but it made no difference as far as seeing the other PCs or the server under Network tab.

Otherwise, the machine seems to be working fine and the drives I mapped are accessible with no issues. 

Thanks

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, June 6, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Hi,

On the problematic windows client system:
    1. Open Control Panel\Network and Sharing Center\Change Advanced sharing settings.
    2. Make sure that network discovery, file and printer sharing are both turned on for current profile(domain).
    3. Save the change and go back to the configuration page to make sure that configuration has been changed.
    4. Open Run, type “services.msc” and end with enter to open Services, find below services and manually start them:
    Function Discovery Provider Host
    Function Discovery Resource Publication

Save the change and confirm that if above configuration is helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:40 AM