none
Rename toolbar name. Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently using Project server 2007.  I need to rename the toolbar name in MSP. I tried to rename it using the instruction from the following link. However, its not working. Can you let me know what I am doing wrong. Please advice.
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/outlook-help/create-and-rename-custom-toolbar-HP001234185.aspx#BM5

Thanks in advance 

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Khaldun,

Are you in a Project Server environment or standalone (MS Project only with no connection to Project Server)?

In case you're in a Project Server environment and it is a enterprise tool bar, you have to rename the toolbar checking-out the Enterprise global before, or using the organizer.

Here is a link explaining how to use the organizer: 

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/10/22/tips-and-tricks-copy-custom-views-filters-tables-and-other-elements-to-other-projects.aspx?Redirected=true

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:31 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply. I am working in Project server environment. I performed edit action as per the instructions however the name is not reflecting. Please advice

Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:01 AM
  • The link you have is for Outlook. 

Please find here a link for customizingProject 2007 toolbars:

http://www.mpug.com/articles/creating-microsoft-project-custom-toolbars-in-4-steps/

Then if you need to add this toolbar to theenterprise global, open it and use the organizer to transfer the toolbar from your local environment to the enterprise model as per this link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2010/10/22/tips-and-tricks-copy-custom-views-filters-tables-and-other-elements-to-other-projects.aspx?Redirected=true

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks again for your reply. I opened "Enterprise Global" via PWA and made the changes in as per the instructions. However, I'm unable to save it. When I click on save, nothing happens.

For testing purpose, I tried the following.

I changed currency settings & toolbar settings in "Enterprise Global" & clicked on save. It saved the currency changes and not the toolbar changes.

I also tried to close the "Enterprise Global" without saving after making changes to toolbar, to check if MSP prompts for "Do you want to save changes" message and I didn't get any prompt message.
    Am I doing something wrong? Please advice 

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:04 AM
  • Hi Khaldun,

I just made some tests with MS Project 2007 and I find it out.

The toolbar name is not displayed when the toolbar is placed with the others toolbars. Note my example with a toolbar named "test":

But then if I drag it, I can see the name:

Thus it is the expected behavior: the toolbar name is only displdayed when the toolbar is dragged away from the toolbars place.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Then in addition to this, note that you can right-click on an icon in the toolbar to choose if you want to display only tthe icon, only the text or both, which explains your screenshot above.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:00 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks again for your reply. I followed your instruction ; opened enterprise global and right-click on an icon in the toolbar. But options displayed are different. Please advice

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:35 AM
  • Hi Khaldun,

I think your issue is not related to the enterprise global (I know, I am the one that talked first about the global, sorry if I confused you..).

I can see in your screenshot that your toolbar has a name, just increase the size and you'll see it. As I said before, the toolbar name is not visible when the toolbar is integrated with the other toolbars at the top of the window.

Just right click right on the toolbar and select "customize" (french approximative translation) to open the dialog box with the "command" tab.

Once you've done this, then you can right click on the toolbar icons and for example display only the name or only the button.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:45 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, that option is not enabled :( Can you please advice on how to change it? 

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:31 AM