none
Server 2012R2 GPO Drive Mapping not working

Question

• For a couple of years, my GPO drive mapping were working without issues. Lately, when configuring a new computer, they do not applied. One user with is old computer is still getting all is drives but when I configure a new computer for him, only the Home Drive is showing, nothing else. Share are OK as I can manually create the drive map in file explorer.

I have deleted my GPO and recreated it with no change. Not sure what I can look for to fix this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Patrick

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,
    Before we go further, please run gpresult /h command to view the group policy report if the GPO is applied successfully on the clients.
    If the GPO is not applying, you could check the following article for common reasons to try troubleshooting:
    10 Common Problems Causing Group Policy To Not Apply
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22457.10-common-problems-causing-group-policy-to-not-apply.aspx
    And please go to event viewer and check if you could find some related events for more information.
    In addition, please have a try to add the new computer with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO) and see if it helps.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Wendy:

Thank you for your following up.

In the event viewer, I am only finding issues about Distributed COM but nothing else. I see that the GP has applied successfully.

I had already run GPresult /h yesterday and the return of the command was successful.

I have also follow your advise and added the computer with Read Permission in GPO. Still not working.

I now feel that permission is the issue. On a separate issue, I have contacted Microsoft about my Shares. This was before Xmas. I know for a fact that it is working the way it should be. With that said, I granted my personal account with Admin right and logged on that new computer. While the drives are not showing with the other users, all mine populated properly.

Not sure where to look now.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 4:17 PM
  • Hi,
    Let us confirm some questions:
    1. The problem is happening on only one user or affecting other users?
    2. The problem is happening on this specific new computer or any new computers?
    3. Any other group policy configured to delete the drives?
    Best regards,
    Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 06, 2017 2:06 AM
  • Wendy:

following are your answers:

1. The problem is happening on only one user or affecting other users? Any users with Domain Users Access being configured on a new computer.
    2. The problem is happening on this specific new computer or any new computers? Only when creating the user profile on a new or formatted computer.
    3. Any other group policy configured to delete the drives? No

Regards,

Patrick

Monday, March 06, 2017 2:27 PM
  • > I have deleted my GPO and recreated it with no change. Not sure what I can look for to fix this.

Enable Debug Logging for GPP Drive Maps and examine the log.

Monday, March 06, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Thanks, I will try this this morning
    Monday, March 06, 2017 3:26 PM
  • I did try, with the same user, and got the log on an XML file.

Unless I am reading this wrong, there was no issues. I can see all the drives that should be applied but not shown.

Monday, March 06, 2017 6:28 PM
  • Hi,

As the limitation of analyzing log in the forum, I would suggest you open up a case with Microsoft Technical Support to see if they could get another ideas from the log: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/?ws=support

Best regards,

Wendy

Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:47 AM