none
Explorer.exe crashes when righ click on item in left pane on windows explorer nothing in system logs, explorer.exe restarts. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all, i have a laptop running Windows 7 Professional. The problem is strange and havent had it on any other Windows 7 machine.

If i click the folder icon on the bottom tool bar (windows explorer) then in the left hand pane expand the C drive then right click on any folder it instantly displays a dialog saying Explorer has experienced a problem and needs to close, windows is looking for a fix for this problem (cant remember exact wording) then Explorer.exe restarts. This happens on the local C drive and Network drives. 

I though it could be a permissions problem so have taken ownership of all files & folders on the C drive which made no difference, i have removed the laptop from our server / domain and it is still the same / no change.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem or offer any ideas on fixing it? the laptop is only a few months old and is i5 / 4GB RAM Dell machine running Windows 7 Pro SP1 office 2003 Pro, checked for virus & adware & all clean.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:09 AM

Answers

• The faulting module (Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll) shell32.dll is a Windows system file however the file that is actually causing the crash may be a third party file which from the symptoms may be a third party context menu handler.

The following link has some info and a download to ShellExView which you can use to selectively disable third party context menu handlers to find out a problematic one:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

You could try disabling all non-Microsoft context menu handlers and then, if the problem resolves, re-enable them one at a time to see which one was the problem.

BTW, the error should be logged in the Event Viewer Application log as a Application Error involving explorer.exe

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:10 PM

All replies

• Can you open the Action Center on the taskbar > Maintenance > View reliability history > View all problem reports

Can you right-click on a few of the "Windows Explorer"  "Stopped working" errors > View technical details

What are the details of the errors?

There is a "Copy to Clipboard" link at the bottom.

Paste the information into Notepad and recopy the information from Notepad to post here.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

You’d better go to event viewer to check if there is any related error record. If so, please paste the details here.

At this time, let us do some general steps which will be helpful of this type issue first.

You may scan for the virus in Safe Mode. Then, please let me know if the issue persists in Safe Mode.

If not, let us use Clean Boot to find out the root cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Hi there absolutely no errors shown in event viewer, thats why im struggling! will try a clean boot and report back. Also will check Action Center to see if there are any clues in there and post any error logs that i find.
    Also run virus scan / malware bytes scan in safe mode and all clean. 

• Edited by ukit Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:35 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:26 AM
  • we found the following error log in Action Center:

Source
    Windows Explorer

Summary
    Stopped working

Date
    ‎11/‎10/‎2012 09:25

Status
    Report sent

Description
    Faulting Application Path:              C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:      APPCRASH
    Application Name:           Explorer.EXE
    Application Version:         6.1.7601.17567
    Application Timestamp:  4d672ee4
    Fault Module Name:        SHELL32.dll
    Fault Module Version:      6.1.7601.17859
    Fault Module Timestamp:               4fd2dfec
    Exception Code:                c0000005
    Exception Offset:              0000000000050494
    OS Version:        6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID:           2057
    Additional Information 1:                d257
    Additional Information 2:                d257e70c0bb57693fe4a99b32203ac45
    Additional Information 3:                bf38
    Additional Information 4:                bf38fbfff01111f00d828186b871a565

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID:          70137792

anyone got any ideas?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:39 AM
  • The faulting module (Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll) shell32.dll is a Windows system file however the file that is actually causing the crash may be a third party file which from the symptoms may be a third party context menu handler.

The following link has some info and a download to ShellExView which you can use to selectively disable third party context menu handlers to find out a problematic one:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

You could try disabling all non-Microsoft context menu handlers and then, if the problem resolves, re-enable them one at a time to see which one was the problem.

BTW, the error should be logged in the Event Viewer Application log as a Application Error involving explorer.exe

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if there is any update about the problem? If the issue persists, please feel free to let us know.

In addition, please let me know if the issue occurs also in Clean Boot environment.

Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:35 AM
  • This had me quickly realise that the problem, in my case, was caused by Spybot SD 2 and its Explorer integration (64-bit). Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Acelr Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:27 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:07 PM
  • This was my exact problem. Thank you!
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Spybot S&D was also the culprit for me.  You do not need to uninstall the whole thing.  Go to Settings --> System Integration tab.  Uninstall "windows explorer integration".
    Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:06 PM
  • I spent hours on this and downloaded one of everything. I did the ShellExView and disabled all non-microsoft and it didn't do anything. I followed Sasquatch451 and uninstalled windows explorer integration on spybot and PRESTO!!!!!!!!

I can't believe how sensitive a piece of software can violently shut down explorer because of poor coding/writing, or whatever spybot did that was bad.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 7:11 AM
  • after a couple hours of troubleshooting spybot turned out to my culprit too, a year later. GET IT TOGETHER SPYBOT.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:14 PM
  • What appears to be the exact same problem for me, and also seems to be Spybot SD2 context menus.
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 2:59 AM