none
DPM failed to communicate with XXX.domain.com because the computer is unreachable. (ID 41 Details: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (0x8007274D)) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using DPM for many years but ever since I did a huge Windows update (including Rollup 3) I have had about 10 protection items giving this error every hour.

It cannot be a connection error between the DPM server and the client machine as all of the protected items exist within a protection group that is successfully backing up the remainder of the group.

For example, I have one protection group that is backing up SQL database server that is 212 databases over four SQL instances, but only 9 of them have had the error this hour (3 on one server and 2 on each of the other servers).

It is also not just SQL, it happens on our File Server (just one of the two drives) and and also on our DC.

I have updated the NIC driver, I have changed the port on the NIC and on the switch, but I have run out of ideas.

It cannot be a firewall issue as most members are being backed up, only a very small number have the problem each hour.  Resuming the backup works just fine.

Setup is, DPM 2012 SP1 Rollup 3, running on Server 2012 (fully patched now), local SQL 2008 database, all clients have the updated agent.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Chris

Chris

Saturday, January 4, 2014 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi

I would suggest gathering performance monitoring logging during the time the issue occurs if you have network adapter teaming in place for the DPM server.  This may assist identifying if a large number of packets are potential being discarded.

If you identify large amounts of traffic being discarded this suggests taking a deeper look at hardware such as Network Adapter Teaming configuration.

Please remember to
    click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as
    Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be
    beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne
    Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
    warranties, and confers no rights."

Monday, January 13, 2014 3:46 PM
  • I am also getting this error frequently. 

DPM failed to communicate with abc.xyz.com because the computer is unreachable. (ID 41 Details: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it (0x8007274D))

Out of 83 protected computers 7-8 giving this error, not permanently but intermittently. Help me out, this is a long pending issue, although Mike Jacquet gave a resolution below but that resolve around 70% issue. 30% still persists:

Recovery Point Creation Failed ID:41 

Could be dynamic port exhaustion issue, but i don't know how to identify and resolve dynamic RPC ports allocation issue.

• Edited by V Jay Rana Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 10:51 AM