none
Service Pack Upgrade and Cumulative Update Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I support a client as a Project Server Administrator on the front end and know very little about how the back end server the software sits on works. Hence my question about the issues they are experiencing. I advised that they needed to update to SP2 and the latest cumulative update, since they have been experiencing issues with timesheets, workflows and project detail pages all erroring out. They claim to have implemented the service pack and updates into their dev environment, yet the testing I have done has failed. All of the issues persist. Any thoughts? I am stumped since none of the work arounds were working prior to the updates and now it seems like nothing is working at all post the updates. Any insight anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hello,

do you want to setup a chat via skype? My username is joaofredneto.

The ULS Logs are pretty straight forward. Each machine logs on its own uls folder.

So when you have a correlation token you need to search the right machines, or search them all (Only Frontends and applicational servers).

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:39 AM
  • Hello, you need to give more information about the issues your having.

Can you confirm the CUS were properly installed?

Can you confirm on the Share point CA if there is upgrades pending? 

If you think this was valuable please mark my reply as a valid answer. Thanks. Kind Regards, João Frederico Neto --

• Marked as answer by MegPMP2013 Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Hi Meg,

you need to have access to the backend to ensure the CUs were properly installed, specifically to the Central Administration or to the SharePoint PowerShell.

Seems that you are having problems with Project Server Workflows that got dissociated from the Projects themselves.

Have you tried to restart the workflow for some of those projects, via Server Settings->Change or Restart Workflow?

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Even if they were created after the CUs, they must appear on the list, can you please try change the dropdown on the top of the page I've told you and check if they are under a different EPT?

About the Cumulative Updates, there will be warnings under the Central Administration, on the Updates/Upgrades section saying that there are upgrades/updates available.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:40 PM

All replies

• Hello, you need to give more information about the issues your having.

Can you confirm the CUS were properly installed?

Can you confirm on the Share point CA if there is upgrades pending? 

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:22 PM
  • The errors are that coming up are "Unable to open project, no valid Project Detail Page could be found for the project." "Unable to open the project. The project has not been properly initialized. This may be caused by the workflow associated with the Enterprise Project Type not starting correctly. Please contact your system administrator"  and assignments are not auto populating on timesheets. I have no way of confirming that the CUs were properly installed. How would I confirm that without access to the back end?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:51 PM
  • Hi Meg,

you need to have access to the backend to ensure the CUs were properly installed, specifically to the Central Administration or to the SharePoint PowerShell.

Seems that you are having problems with Project Server Workflows that got dissociated from the Projects themselves.

Have you tried to restart the workflow for some of those projects, via Server Settings->Change or Restart Workflow?

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:48 AM
  • Hi Joao,

Thank you so much for your responses. I have tried to reset the workflows for the test projects, but the projects do not show up in the list. These were new test projects that were setup after the CUs were put in, so the workflows would be new too., correct? Also, how would I know the CUs were properly installed? What questions can I ask their server team? Since I am unable to have access to the backend, I want to be able to ask the right questions.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Even if they were created after the CUs, they must appear on the list, can you please try change the dropdown on the top of the page I've told you and check if they are under a different EPT?

About the Cumulative Updates, there will be warnings under the Central Administration, on the Updates/Upgrades section saying that there are upgrades/updates available.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:40 PM
  • In reference to the CUs, their tech team sent me screenshots that everything was successful and the 2 warnings they had were cleared. Any other thoughts on what may be causing the issues. There are a lot of "An error has occurred, please check the UL logs for instructions" messages that they are getting in testing. The tech team checked the logs and said they could not find the IDs that I provided them. I am stumped about what is happening here. Thanks again for your help.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 8:40 PM
  • Hello,

do you want to setup a chat via skype? My username is joaofredneto.

The ULS Logs are pretty straight forward. Each machine logs on its own uls folder.

So when you have a correlation token you need to search the right machines, or search them all (Only Frontends and applicational servers).

Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:39 AM
  • I think a chat via skype would be very helpful thank you. My username is meghan.hairston. Thank you so much for your help.
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:52 PM