none
Exchange 2010 SP2 rebuild/restore Microsoft Search (Exchange) service(s)? RRS feed

• Question

• It's a very long story, but the short and long of what I'm trying to resolve is the reinstallation of the msftesql.exe service(s). Everything else is working and I just need to get those back working. I had installed, and uninstalled the 2007 version from the MSI on the CD, and it uninstalled the Microsoft Search (Exchange) service which is a depended service by the Search Indexer. I went into the registry already and manually created the information, before I read about sc.exe, and tried to put it back, but it's missing the FD service and one other. No backups / Exchange 2010 SP2 / Server 2008 R2. Does anyone have any ideas that don't include reinstalling, or rebuilding, a new server?
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:47 AM

All replies

• From my experience, only a rebuild of the server.  Trying to repair the Search Indexer is impossible.

I'd create another Exch server and move services over there.  What I have found in pne case, is, even if ou remove exchange and then reinstall it doesnt work, the only workaround was to build a new server with a fresh OS, then install Exch.

Sukh
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:04 PM
  • I don't know if searching is worth that much time and effort. This is a DC, and people can use cache mode with RPC over HTTPS if it's that much trouble. Why Microsoft thought the ability to repair core installation files, which don't affect configuration or AD, was unnecessary is beyond me.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:52 PM
  • I spent some time figuring this out, but that's the only resolution I had, sorry.

If you can afford to lose the search for OWA users then I guess that's a decision only you can make.

Sukh
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Hi chevy,

Any update for your issue?
    Above gave some good information.

Regards!

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Gavin,

Unless there's some other method of fixing this, or method to attempt to fix this, there is no resolution. I'm just going to have a broken feature in Exchange until I decide to spend another weekend rebuilding another Exchange server. I'm still soliciting advice and suggestions if that was your implied question.

Thanks.

Monday, January 30, 2012 12:19 PM
  • Hi chevy372,

In my opinion, I also think rebuild the server is the better way.

Regards!

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttngfb@microsoft.com
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Gavin

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:20 AM
  • Gavin,

While I agree with both of you it might be a better way to resolve the issue, I would like to know if it is possible to resolve this issue without spending ~10 hours to migrate FSMO roles, decommission the Exchange Server and DC, and spend the remaining hours reinstalling windows, configuring updates/backups/AD/Exchange, and finally redirecting email back to this new server and mounting the databases again (removing email from our organization during this time frame), not to mention time for preparation in doing these tasks. It is a better solution just to reinstall somewhere else, but it isn't always the most cost and time effective solution. If it is the only solution, however, then I'll do what it takes. Thanks!

Frank

• Edited by chevy372 Friday, February 3, 2012 9:01 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:00 AM
  • If it makes you feel better I spend around 45 hours trying to fix this and I couldn;t.

Also removing Exchange and reinstalling didnt work either, something in the OS was messed, didnt find root cause.  Had to rebuild a new server, i.e fresh OS install

Sukh
    Friday, February 3, 2012 10:04 AM
  • Sukh,

Cumulatively, I've spent almost the same amount of time on this issue as well, but my biggest hurdle is that this would be the third time I've rebuilt this server. The first time I built it Windows didn't install the Firewall service properly and, after all the updates, at the point of installing Exchange (it passed the prerequisites) the installation failed. I would literally try anything within reason to resolve this without rebuilding. I'm very close to exporting the registry keys and executable's/dll's from another working version to import into my server.

Frank

Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:06 AM
  • You can log a call with MSFT, however, they were unable to resolve this too. Rebuild was recommended.
    Sukh
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:10 AM