Is there a solution to purge document versions based on date in WSS 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• We use WSS 3.0 document libraries to archive reports. Most reports are run daily and just stack up as new versions to each report document. In each of these libraries, the documents have various required retention periods. We would like a way to purge the versions of the documents based on dates and the document retention period. Everything I see so far can just purge the entire document including all versions, which is undesirable. I understand we can set our version limits to a number like 365, but this is a bad solution because this setting is at the library level and we would have to set at the longest retention period, and if reports start runnning more than once a day then we would not meet the retention requirements. I have sugggested on modifying the structure of our archive, but have been tasked with finding a built-in way to trim the old versions in our current structure or find an existing solution to do this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:10 PM NEVER make SP 2010 comments and ask SP 2010 questions in pre-SP 2010 forums and pre-SP 2010 forum posts. Deleted.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:58 PM