none
Difference between the Enterprise and Enterprise LTSB edition

Answers

All replies

• LTSB stands for Long Term Service Branch , in Windows 10 there is a new concept of Current Branch and LTSB, you may refer to:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2015/07/13/windows-10-licensing-logic.aspx

Saturday, August 1, 2015 2:23 PM
  • LTSB stands for Long Term Service Branch , in Windows 10 there is a new concept of Current Branch and LTSB, you may refer to:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/uktechnet/archive/2015/07/13/windows-10-licensing-logic.aspx

What are the editions where it is possible to choose all update branches? It is possible to change the update branch?

Thanks

Bye

Balubeto

Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:41 PM
  • Not sure how to change the branches, but on TechNet Evaluation Center you can download either an ISO for Windows 10 Enterprise or Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, both 90 days evaluation. So would guess for LTSB it is different install media.

The LTSB I have installed to have look at and does not have the modern apps or Edge.

Saturday, August 1, 2015 5:56 PM
  • It sure would be nice if you answered a question vs. sending us to another page that is hard to understand what LTSB actually offers.

LTSB stands for Long Term Service Branch , in Windows 10 there is a new concept of Current Branch and LTSB, you may refer to:

<input id="be085638-abf7-4ef9-87e1-4064ee87c706_attachments" type="hidden" value="" />                

Darel Pedersen

Friday, October 21, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Standard OS edition will have automatic OS upgrades when new features roll out and LTSB will not.  
    • Proposed as answer by Dirtrunner702 Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:44 PM
    Monday, October 31, 2016 8:39 PM
  • >It sure would be nice if you answered a question vs. sending us to another page that is hard to understand what LTSB actually offers.

Welcome to TechNet, where every solution exists via another URL.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:07 PM
  • LTSB is targeted for hardware developers integrators.
    Its not for giving the most fancy user experience with lots of goodies.
    But supose you create some software that controls a machine or robot, or car driving etc.
    Then you want something that is just stable, that doesn't update or is unable to update at all.
    You probaply wont need intern explorer, notepad etc (it might be in it, or not) but mostly you want to run your app only and to outsider wont show what your running as operating system.

Monday, March 20, 2017 7:36 AM
  • Its not for giving the most fancy user experience with lots of goodies.

I. DO. NOT. NEED. FREAKING GOODIES. Not a single one.

I want my workstation to be ultra-stable, and do, look, and perform EXACTLY THE SAME for the next 10 years.
    It has to support:
    - Chrome.
    - MS Office, or at least EXCEL (any version from 2013).

That's it.

Monday, June 12, 2017 1:49 PM
  • LTSB doesn't have most apps or Edge, and it does have IE and notepad.  It works just fine in an educational lab environment, although if a class wants to use 3d editing or something, you'll be in trouble.

Monday, June 12, 2017 2:32 PM
  • LSTB is exactly for this situation. Its meant to be used in ultra stable environments where there is no need for minor updates to be pushed into a system.

To quote them a bit "The LTSB servicing option is designed for device types and scenarios where the key attribute is for features or functionality to never change. "

No worries about compatibility being broken by an update or any such issues.

Updates like the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 LTSB etc wont be pushed. They will get security and bugfix updates through Windows Update, that’s it.If a new version of Windows 10 LTSB with new features comes, you’ll have to download new Windows 10 LTSB installation media and install or upgrade from the media. It wont be automatically updated.

It also omits Windows Store, Cortana, or Microsoft Edge browser, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Money, Music, News, OneNote, Sports, and Weather.
    Friday, June 23, 2017 3:58 AM
  • LSTB is exactly for this situation. Its meant to be used in ultra stable environments where there is no need for minor updates to be pushed into a system.

To quote them a bit "The LTSB servicing option is designed for device types and scenarios where the key attribute is for features or functionality to never change. "

Updates like the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 LTSB etc wont be pushed. They will get security and bugfix updates through Windows Update, that’s it.If a new version of Windows 10 LTSB with new features comes, you’ll have to download new Windows 10 LTSB installation media and install or upgrade from the media. It wont be automatically updated.

It also omits Windows Store, Cortana, or Microsoft Edge browser, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Money, Music, News, OneNote, Sports, and Weather.
    • Proposed as answer by rell_p Thursday, October 19, 2017 10:38 AM
    Friday, June 23, 2017 4:05 AM
  • Scarlet Reaper do the "right" answer to the question!!! Difference of features....

Not these guys from this obscure Cyber_Defend_Team

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:13 PM

that's right, in this version LTSB the updates are  controlled for the IT admin at organization, omits the apps mentioned.
    the app that is essential is a picture viewer and this version haven't Windows Store neither Photos.  ;(
    Friday, January 19, 2018 8:52 PM
  • i think LTSB is the best edition of windows 10 till now. believe me and just try it. i`m a game developer and i have to work with UE4, modeling programs like 3ds max, maya, zbrush, marmoset & ... . so u wont have any problem with 3rd party programs. one of the cool thing that i found in this edition of windows is better performance and lower temperature in games and game engines even more than 20 degree in some of them!! at first i thought there might be a bug in this edition of windows that it shows lower my GPU and CPU temperature in the games that i was playing and also when programs like UE4 and marmoset toolbag, so i decided to measure it with a digital thermometer and the result was amazing! in overwatch and standard edition of windows my gpu ( it is msi 1070) temp was more than 64 degree with ultra quality and 60 fps, but in the LTSB in that quality and 60 fps, it did not go more than 44 at all !! and in other games gpu temp was lower between 4 - 15. ( sth that i need to notice is that i tried to measure the temp at the same situations as possible it was) this really amazing result was right on my cpu also ( its 6700K) and it was cooler for 3-8 degree in my test programs and also my job programs! unfortunatly my team PCs are the same and i could not test it on different pcs but result was the same on all of them. so plz try it and reply this comment to make me sure that i`m right. ( my current windows edition is win10 LTSB 1607 build 14393.693). this is a big shame for MS if it be true on all PCs.

and i wanted to tell sth about ur first sentence. I LOVE IT :)

• Edited by ASTIAK Monday, January 29, 2018 1:16 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 1:14 PM
  • is it possible to change a Windows 10 2016 LTSB license with Microsoft 365 to a normal Enterprise edition?
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 6:33 AM
  • To enable Photo Viewer in Windows 10 use the following link.  [https://www.howtogeek.com/225844/how-to-make-windows-photo-viewer-your-default-image-viewer-on-windows-10/] Download the script.  Check it out in Notepad.  Double Click it to enable it.  If you do this after a fresh install before running any updates, it will sometimes add itself back to the Default Program for Image viewing (but not every the time for some reason, have not figured ou the trigger.) Other than that, find a .JPG right click, open with, and you will see Windows Photo Viewer.  This worked on Windows 10 Enterprise x64 LTSB.
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:26 PM