Move/Migrate WSS3.0 Databases to Latest SQL Server version RRS feed

• Question

• Hello one and all - I hope we are all RE-Ignited :)

I have a peculiar project to undertake on behalf of a client and want to check if the proposals from the client are valid and achievable:

Existing Infrastructure:

Web Server:~ WinSer 2K8 R2 (32bit) + WSS3.0 Latest SP applied + Search Server 2008 Express

DB Server:~ WinSer 2K3R2 (32 bit) + SQL 2005 (32bit)

This setup is a production environment and whilst conversations are ongoing to potentially upgrade the client to either SharePoint Foundation 2010 (or 2013) the reality is that cost and timing may be a factor at this time that prevents an upgrade.

Requirements

The client want to move their WSS3.0 databases to a brand new virtualised DB server running WinSer 2k12 R2 and ideally (their words not mine) SQL server 2014 (latest version was the clients actual words).

So I have some questions as below:

1) Is it possible to move WSS3.0 databases from a SQL 2005 (32bit) server to SQL 2014 (64bit) server? if not what is the highest or last known SQL server version that can be used? and also what best practices/guidance/guides/steps exist that are proven exist that I can read up on and study?

2) Assuming a move to a higher 64bit SQL server version can be completed, will the client also need to upgrade/rebuild their wen server to a 64bit version and deploy 64bit WSS3.0? or can a 32bit version of WSS3.0 connect to a 64bit version of SQL?

Any help/guidance/thoughts/examples/best practice on this kind of peculiar "migration" would be extremely helpful as I prepare to respond to the client and schedule in the work for the near future.

Thank in advance

Mark

Friday, May 8, 2015 7:44 AM

Answers

• I'm guessing their current install doesn't use a SQL alias... so you'll need to use one to redirect the requests to the new server (unless it happens to have the same server name)

but as far as SQL goes, no, it doesn't matter whether SQL is 32-bit or 64-bit... and SQL provides backwards compatibility, so that databases from older versions of SQL will continue functioning as if they were still on the older version (specifically as it relates to execution plans and such).

as far as a SHAREPOINT upgrade goes... some people have done a "bitness upgrade", replacing WSS/MOSS 32-bit with 64-bit servers... but businesses view it as an IT cost, instead of a business benefit (since the software still has the same features/limitations)... the BUSINESS is better served by upgrading to SP2010/2013... and really, the only limitation there will be related to any custom solutions, and whether they are available for the new version (which will imply their use as a 64-bit solution).

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, May 8, 2015 6:41 PM