Converting a Non-Highly Available VM to a Highly Available VM Without SCVMM. RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to figure out the best way to convert a non-highly available VM to a highly available VM, as the standalone server that it was created on is now part of a cluster. I have tried the following steps on a test VM:

1. Shut down the VM in question
    2. Log onto the cluster node that owns the CSV upon which I intend to store the VM
    3. Create a new folder
    4. Copy the VHD file associated with the VM to this shared storage
    5. Modify the properties of the VM so that it points to the shared storage for its only hard disk
    6. Open Failover Cluster Manager and run the Configure a Service or Application Wizard, choosing the obvious options (VM, picking the VM, etc.)

The wizard completes succssfully, and it now shows the VM as a cluster object. The VM is running without issues, however the VM is not truly highly available as it cannot be migrated to any other node. Upon moving it to another node the configuration resource shows as missing. I assume this is because the Configure Service or Application Wizard did not move the VM configuration file to the shared storage and obviously node 2 won't access node 1's local file system to grab it.

So how are we supposed to convert a VM to being highly available without the use of SCVMM or simply creating a new VM via Failover Cluster Manager and pointing it to the VHD which we have manually copied to the shared storage? Is there a way to invoke a configuration move in order to get ito onto the shared storage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Use "Export" to export a copy of the VM to the CSV.

Then Import this exported VM (make new GUIDs, don't reuse).

Then make it Highly Available in Failover Clustering.

It is the export process that puts everything into the correct spots.

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/05/versatility-of-hyper-v-export-import.html

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful) http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 8:38 PM
  • without scvmm you can do only the export and import options from the hyper-v manager.

Darshana Jayathilake
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Hi,

SCVMM is additional tool for Hyper-V and cluster and not the required one, you can add the VMs to high availability with Hyper-V Manager and Failover Cluster console.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Monday, October 24, 2011 1:30 PM