none
Error - graphical indicator RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to set a graphical indicator for a custom duration column, but am getting a error: The entry is not valid. The test value cannot be used with the field for the date you want to find or filter for.

Here's what I did. I added a custom duration column. In this column I put the hours that are available for a task and let it sum up for the summaries. I want to compare this column with the standard Work column (compare hours with hours). When I try to set it I get the error above. Can someone tell me what is going wrong?

I right click on the custom duration column, select custom fields. Go to the graphical indicator options. Select summary rows. And enter the folowwing values:

Test for 'Duration1': is greather than
    Value(s): Work
    And select an image. After clicking OK I get the error.

• Edited by Peperbusse Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Answers

• Peperbusse,

Even though work is stored internally as a number (minutes), custom field formulas can sometimes be finicky (VBA is much more forgiving). My suggestion is to use a custom formula to copy the Work field into a custom duration field (e.g. Duration1=[work]. Now enter your available hours into another duration field (e.g. Duration2) and set up your graphical indicators for the Duration2 field.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Peperbusse,

Try with a custom number field instead of a duration custom field since you compare it to a number (work). Also try the formula without the graphical indicator to check if your formula returns the correct values, then simply add the graphical indicator.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:50 PM
  • Peperbusse,

Even though work is stored internally as a number (minutes), custom field formulas can sometimes be finicky (VBA is much more forgiving). My suggestion is to use a custom formula to copy the Work field into a custom duration field (e.g. Duration1=[work]. Now enter your available hours into another duration field (e.g. Duration2) and set up your graphical indicators for the Duration2 field.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Enclose Work in square brackets, as in [Work].
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:42 PM
  • Nothing is going wrong because work and duration are not the same thing even if the values are the same and both are measured in hours. Generating an error by comparing two different types of data is exactly what I would expect to happen.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:57 PM
  • Trevor,

The work field is a duration data type, so it is not a type mismatch error.  John's suggestion seems to work fine - why the OP cannot compare a custom duration field to the work field is a mystery.

Julie

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:32 AM
  • Julie,
    Yes, you are right. That's what I get for replying without a test. It would be a lot easier if, instead of having to guess in order to test it, Peperbusse provided the screenshot of the custom fields dialog, the formula in the duration1 field, and the test in the graphical indicators. Mine follows.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:51 AM
  • I get the same error as the OP with the following:

Duration 1 field, no formula however I have selected the "sum" option for Group or summary rows.

In the graphical indicators for Duration1

is greater than [Work] 

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:49 PM
  • This works. The formula in Duration1 is [Work]-[Duration]

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:31 PM
  • I haven't tried all of the fields available in the value drop down for comparison with Duration1, but I will bet that it can be compared only to another duration field (actual, remaining, baseline, duration, duration1,2,3,4..). This seems to be fair enough and once known is easily worked around.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:42 PM
  • Peperbusse,

I apologize for not testing before posting. I am with John on this, you can use another duration field with the formula [Work] and select it in Value(s) column, in order to avoid this incompatibility issue. We get the same error while trying to create a filter with Duration1 > [Work]. I would use a custom flag field for the comparison Duration1 > [Work] and define indicators for that flag field; by doing so, I can keep the data in Duration1 visible and this also makes it easy to test the formula. 

Please close this thread by marking John's post as the answer.

Friday, April 3, 2015 6:29 PM