Task dependencies with multiple resources allocated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Please advise on the way to solve the following problem:

Task 1 -  3d ,   resource R1 is assigned to this task

Task 2 -  7d ,   resource R2 is assigned to this task  

Task 3 -  5d,    resource R3 is assigned to this task

Task 4 - 8d,    resource R1, R2 and R3 are  assigned to this task

Task 1, Task 2 and Task 3 start at the same time.

There is FS tasks relationships  between Task1 and Task 4,  Task 2 and Task 4, and Task 3 and Task 4 .

How to specify the following 2 scenarios:

1.  I want each of 3 resources to start working on Task 4 as soon as that resource finishes his original task.

2.  I want all 3 resources to start working on Task 4  simultaneously.  That is, Task 1 should wait for Task 2 and Task 3 to finish before starting Task 4.

Thank you,

Alex

• Edited by Alex Shafir Wednesday, November 9, 2016 1:38 AM
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 11:27 PM

All replies

• Alex:

Desire 1 and Desire 2 are conflicting. On one hand you say you want each of them to start asap, but not until 1,2 and 3 are finished. If the resources have to wait for tasks 1,2, and 3 to complete, then add a milestone task, set FS dependencies from 1,2 and 3 to the milestone, then add a FS dependency from the milestone to the final task. This will force the task 4 to start only after the first 3 complete regardless of which task ends up being the driver.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Yes, these two scenarios are conflicting, though I'm assuming you knew that.  Scenario 2 is default logic-driven scheduling - this will be the outcome according to the relationships you indicated.  I don't see a need for any intermediate milestone.

Scenario 1 is in direct conflict with your indicated relationships - you'll need to delete or modify them if you want to proceed this way.  This scenario seems to be based on the premise that R1, R2, and R3 can all work independently on Task 4 - this is rarely the case in practice.  I see two options (after deleting the existing FS links):

1.  Split Task 4 into 3 independent tasks (perhaps under a "Task 4" summary), one task for each of these independent resources.  Then schedule them using standard FS links from the predecessors.
    2. Schedule Task 4 using Resource Leveling - ordering by "Priority, Standard" and checking the leveling option box for "Leveling can adjust individual assignments on a task."  Depending on the durations and other relationships of the three tasks, you may also need to impose priorities on the leveling rules (i.e. assign a lower priority to Task 4 compared to the others.)  When leveling, the relative priorities function a bit like FS links between two tasks demanding the same resource.

In general I would prefer the first approach since it is easier to manage in the long run. 

Good luck, tom 

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:10 PM