WMI: Provider Load Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have Googled until my head hurts so I hope posting here will lead me to an answer. 

I have a server running Windows server 2012 Standard. We have been having a problem with WMI constantly "stopping and restarting" (can not tell a change under services). I have tested using wbemtest and wmimgmt. I have also checked the WMI Repository and no corruption is found.

When WMI isn't working and I try to access wmimgmt I get:

Failed to initialize all required WMI classes.

Win32_Processor: Error code: 0xFFFFFFFF

Win32_WMISetting: WMI: Provider load Failure

Security Information: Successful

Win32_Operating System: Error Code: 0xFFFFFFFF

I can wait anywhere from a min to five mins and can access wmimgmt with no problems. This is causing problems with my refresh of Server Manager and the ability to install or remove features or roles. 

I have thought about rebuilding the repository but I have read on other blogs this is a last resort method, as it could cause more problems than it fixes. 

If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to any thing at this point. 

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:03 PM

Answers

• After some time it turns out our Meraki firewall was causing the problem with WMI failing. We had to turn off the option for Meraki to query Active Directory. After that no more issues with WMI. I hope this helps someone in the future. 

Oh and when handed the information that Microsoft compiled showing where Meraki was constantly contacting AD, (usually 6 or more times in less than 3 seconds) the Meraki people deny it causing the issue even after showing them the evidence and proving that it was the issue. So don't expect any help from Meraki. 

• Marked as answer by SupWaldo Friday, August 21, 2015 9:59 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Supwaldo,

Please follow this aritcle to troubleshoot wmi issue:

WMI: Missing or Failing WMI Providers or Invalid WMI Class

You can view Event log under WMI-Activity and find if there is any error indicate this failure.

Check if the repository is corrupted or not by running following command from command prompt with admin rights: winmgmt /verifyrepository. If it is corrupted the returned result will be “Repository is inconsistent.”

You can find the relevant .mof file and .dll file which can be found in MSDN document of the wmi class.

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 11:17 AM
  • I have went through every trouble shooting steps I can find. Have recently put in a call to Microsoft and we are working on the issue every day. Its been about a week with no resolution as of yet. Will post the fix when they figure it out. 
    Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:40 PM
  • After some time it turns out our Meraki firewall was causing the problem with WMI failing. We had to turn off the option for Meraki to query Active Directory. After that no more issues with WMI. I hope this helps someone in the future. 

Oh and when handed the information that Microsoft compiled showing where Meraki was constantly contacting AD, (usually 6 or more times in less than 3 seconds) the Meraki people deny it causing the issue even after showing them the evidence and proving that it was the issue. So don't expect any help from Meraki. 

• Marked as answer by SupWaldo Friday, August 21, 2015 9:59 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 9:59 PM
  • I'm glad you posted this!  We have run into the exact same issue.  We have a 2008 R2 AD server and were trying to use AD integration for client VPN on the Meraki MX80 Security Appliance.  I simply input the data to connect to our AD server and immediately WMI breaks.  Disable AD integration on the MX80 and WMI goes immediately back to normal function.

I had the AD integration working with zero issues at a previous employer, so I know it should work.  What I am trying to track down is what the difference is.  Is there some security setting in AD that is preventing the LDAP data transfer and making WMI think it is under "attack?"

I have turned in my results to Cisco Meraki for guidance and tell let them know your experience is not an isolated issue.  Any help anyone can provide with things to check on the WS 2008 R2 side would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe something in the AD structure???

I was also able to get AD replicated to a 2012 R2 server and I don't think WMI has the same issues when I try to connect the MX80, but LDAP is still not able to get the user data.

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: I'm working through Meraki instructions for setting up AD integration now and have already found a couple items missing on the MS 2008 R2 side.  I'll report back if I find the ultimate solution. Below is the link...

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX-Z/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Integrating_Active_Directory_with_Group_Policies#Create_an_Active_Directory_Site

• Edited by lloganBMG Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:31 PM Added info
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 9:18 PM
  • Just ran into the same issue here.  I deleted the DC from the AD in Meraki and WMI started working immediately. 

However, it seems to be working again after adding it back into Meraki.  I'll keep an eye on it, but it definitely makes me nervous to have our DCs connected.

Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:49 PM
  • X2 on Meraki tearing me up. I Migrated DC's from a 2012R2 to another 2012R2 server. I had LDAP authentication set on my meraki so my users could log on to the client VPN with their LDAP credentials. What I had to do is go to my Meraki dashboard --> security appliance--> Active Directory--> and change it from "authenticate users with active directory to "No Authentication" and hit SAVE... Then I went to security appliance--> client VPN and changed that to use "Meraki Authentication. I then rebooted both servers and I was good to go. I could then install any role I wanted to without the WMI failure. The pic below is a a screen shot of what I changed.

Actually it would not let me save the pic in the body... but follow those directions. Happy computing

Sunday, February 26, 2017 6:52 PM