User home folders are changing to My Documents in profile location RRS feed

• Question

• We are running VMWare in our environment, and several of the user profiles that are stored in a specific network location are changing from the standard username to "My Documents".  The fix has been deleting a desktop.ini file in the root of the home folders that are affected, but we are having a hard time figuring out why this is happening.  It's not consistent with the users it's happening to in any specific way.  Any ideas?
    Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you perform folder redirection on those user profiles?

Does the issue fixed by deleting desktop.ini file?

Does the issue occur again after fixed?

Are those VMWare device in a domain environment?

I am not sure if the issue was caused by a virus or tampered by malicious user.

If it was tempered by malicious user, we could use auditing mode to monitor the file status by the following steps:

Right click the file you want to audit\Properties\Security\Advanced\Auditing\Continue\Add\Select a principal\type everyone in blank\OK\tick “Full control” in Advanced permissions\OK\Apply

When someone access or modify the file, you could see the detailed process in Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Security.  Export event viewer log and upload it to OneDrive, then paste the link here.

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, August 7, 2017 1:25 AM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 8:32 AM
  • Hi,

Was the issue resolved?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure if your issue was resolved now. However, according to our policy I have to close your case now.

But when you reply to us, it will re-open automatically, so don't be afraid. Keeping connection with us if you have any issue.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:55 AM