none
Group RCDCs RRS feed

• Question

• I've added a simple UocDropDownList control to the 'Configuration for Group Creation' RCDC. At the moment however the control is displayed when creating both security groups and distribution groups. Is it possible to configure the control so that it is only displayed when creating security groups?

Cheers,

Tom Houston, UK Identity Management Practice

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:29 PM

Answers

• Simple way to show/hide tabs/controls for security/distribution groups.

Insert an XML data source into the RCDC:

<my:XmlDataSource my:Name="GroupCategories">
      <GroupCategories>
        <Security>true</Security>
        <Distribution>false</Distribution>
      </GroupCategories>
    <my:XmlDataSource>

Use the following property in your grouping or control declaration:

my:Visible="{Binding Source=GroupCategories, Path=/GroupCategories/%Attribute_Type%}"

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:43 PM

All replies

• You're right, the RCDC is same for security groups and distribution list (they're both group objects). This limits the functionali you can do quite a lot. However, there are some configuration you can do. See this thread and especially what Craig says "Different RDCDs for Security and Distribution groups?"
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

I also needed this some time ago, and the only thing that worked is using a tab which I hide by an boolean attribute which I set on security and distribution groups, like Craig has described in his post.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Would I be right in saying that you can't use a custom group resource to do this because you'll effectively lose the out-of-the-box Join, Leave, Add Member and Remove Member functionality?

Cheers,

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:11 PM
  • Yes you are right, in addition you loose the dynamic group membership (attribute based) on custom group resources.

There is a lot of code behind the group management UI.

Regards

Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Thanks Peter. How would you see Craig's solution working for the group creation RCDC when there are no attributes provisioned at this point?

Cheers,

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Simple way to show/hide tabs/controls for security/distribution groups.

Insert an XML data source into the RCDC:

<my:XmlDataSource my:Name="GroupCategories">
      <GroupCategories>
        <Security>true</Security>
        <Distribution>false</Distribution>
      </GroupCategories>
    <my:XmlDataSource>

Use the following property in your grouping or control declaration:

my:Visible="{Binding Source=GroupCategories, Path=/GroupCategories/%Attribute_Type%}"

Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:43 PM
  • You could create a custom resource type and then use workflow to write to the security group.

Now where have i seen that done before?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:31 PM
  • Roberto,

You could create a custom resource type and then use workflow to write to the security group.

Yep this is an option if you don't want to use the oob group management buttons in a self-service scenario. Personally I would not implement a custom group resource because you prevent the customer from (easily) moving to self-service group management at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:05 PM