Software Requests - Clarification on a few things RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully set up the Software Request and have provide an Approval workflow to go with it.  Everything works as expected.  Once you approve the Review Item, the Collection and Advertisement are created in SCCM and the package deploys successfully to the client.  At this point, the system breaks down a little.  After veriying that the software is installed, I go in and mark the request complete (I will complete the automation piece that check the status of the advertisement later).

This is where it breaks apart (IMHO) the collection and advertisement are left behind in SCCM.  While this is not a big deal in small orgs, in an enteprise where you have 20,000 clients and likely dozens of software requests each day, SCCM soon becomes cluttered.  I have checked permissions, the Run As account has Admin privileges in SCCM,  Therefore I have the following questions:

1. Is this expected behavior?  I would expect the automated action to clean up after itself in 24 hours.
    2. If this is not expected behavior when can the community that desire to make bigger use of this functionality expect a fix or do we have to write our own cleanup routines?
    3. Is this fixed or improved in 2012?  It is less than a year until the release date we can probably have the customer wait for that
    4. Will the 2012 request system work with ConfigMgr 2007 as well as ConfigMgr 2012?

Thanks,

DW

The early bird gets the worm. The second mouse gets the cheese.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

The SCCM Collections and Advertisements are not removed  so yes this is the expected behaviour.

Rekha

• Marked as answer by David K Welch Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:03 AM
  • In our environment the collections and advertisments are reused after they are created the first time. The next computer is added to the already existing collection.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    • Marked as answer by David K Welch Friday, September 9, 2011 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

The SCCM Collections and Advertisements are not removed  so yes this is the expected behaviour.

Rekha

• Marked as answer by David K Welch Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:03 AM
  • This can create quite a mess, possbly.

Is only one collection and advertisement created per packaged requested (machines are added to the collection but the advertisement is re-used)?  If a separate collection and advertisement is created for each request, then there is no way that this solution is workable in all but the smalllest (1,000 users or less) environments.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 8:54 PM
  • In our environment the collections and advertisments are reused after they are created the first time. The next computer is added to the already existing collection.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group
    • Marked as answer by David K Welch Friday, September 9, 2011 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Thanks Andreas.

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:30 PM