none
Windows XP user cannot open (or copy) PDF files from file server RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows XP user who can open PDF files on our secondary file server (e.g. \\serverB\shares\marketing\file.pdf) but not from the main server (\\serverA\shares\marketing\file.pdf). Same with copying PDF files. He can copy them to his desktop. from server B but not from server A. Server A is the one assigned to him because server B is being pre-seeded for DFS and is in a different office anyway.

The problem is only with PDF files. He can open and copy any other files. And it's only on his Windows XP machine. His Windows 7 machine works just fine (he can copy and open PDF files from server A).

The two servers (Windows 2016) are set up identically as far as NTFS permissions. The only difference is that server A is set up in DFS while server B is being pre-seeded before being added to DFS.

DFS namespace type is: domain (Windows Server 2008 mode).

The XP machine had no problem under server A when the DFS namespace type was Server 2000 mode, but I'm not sure that would cause the problem.

Monday, December 2, 2019 8:24 PM

All replies

• What error does the user get? I am assuming that they are using the Windows explorer to do the copy; what happens if they open a command prompt windows and use the copy command?  If you create a folder with a pdf and a txt file (of similar file size as the pdf) in it and the user tries to copy the folder, does that work?

You should read through this. https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8904a50d-eb82-4564-a988-b29170c04850/windows-xp-cant-access-2012r2-file-server-after-disabling-smbv1

It's time to get off of XP. 

Monday, December 2, 2019 9:18 PM
  • When opening the file from server A through Adobe Reader, he gets the error message, "There was an error opening this document. The request is not supported."

When copying the file from Server A to his desktop, he gets the error message, "Cannot copy [filename]. Cannot read from source file or disk."

I don't have access to the user's machine, right now, but I'll try your suggestion asap.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:08 AM
  • 2 thoughts.... is the antivirus software on the XP machine detecting something? And is the folder+file name length exceeding 256 characters?  
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:14 AM
  • As MotoX80 said, validate if SMB1 has been enabled or not on your Windows 2016 Server ?

Get-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1

Windows XP can only use SMBv1.  This protocol may have been disabled on your 2016 server.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2696547/detect-enable-disable-smbv1-smbv2-smbv3-in-windows-and-windows-server

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:57 AM
  • SMBv1 is enabled on the server.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:28 AM
  • 2 thoughts.... is the antivirus software on the XP machine detecting something? And is the folder+file name length exceeding 256 characters?  

Antivirus disabled. No interference.

The folder and file have short names.

SMBv1 is enabled on the server.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:29 AM
  • You can try using Process Monitor (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon) and see what could be the issue when copying the files.

hth

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:40 AM
  • Thank you. Will try.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:24 AM
  • Is it just this one file or is it every .pdf on the share? If you rename a .txt file to .pdf can you copy that file? 

One post that I found suggested that the file may be open by another process. Run "net file" and see if other users have the file open.

If there are none, try the handle utility. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

That will scan the processes running on the server to see if they have the file open. (Maybe the Search service???) 

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:28 PM