Backup and Restore panel buttons not working RRS feed

• Question

• The "back up now" button and "change settings" button and other buttons in the backup and restore center does not work, nothing happens except an icon flashes by in the taskbar. I have however managed to do a backup of my system drive but it won't let me do anything there now.

I've tried using system file checker to see if anything is wrong with the system files but it checks out ok.

If you have any ideas I'd appreciate it.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 1:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Do you receive any error message? I recommend that you look into Event Viewer and Task Scheduler to see if any message is related to Backup.

Check in Event Viewer by typing Event Viewer in the search box==> Windows Logs ==> Application and Services ==> Microsoft==> Windows==>Windows Backup==>Action Center, then  view the details about errors and post in this thread.

Check in Task Scheduler by typing Task Scheduler in the search box==>Task Scheduler Library==>Microsoft==>Windows==>Windows Backup ==>History, note the latest task scheduler and post in this thread.

Meanwhile, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.    Check if you are logged on as Administrator account.

1)    Press WIN + R to open a run box.

2)    Type: lusrmgr.msc and hint Enter.

3)    Double click Groups, and click Administrators.

4)    Verify if your account is listed in the members of Administrators.

2.    Check if Windows Backup Service is configured correctly.

1)    Type: Services in the search box and hint Enter.

2)    Find Windows Backup service, check if it is manually started, please try to stop the service and restart it.

3)    Make sure that Log On as is  Local System.

4)    Start  Restore and Backup Center to see if anything is fine now.

3.    Start the computer in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, core services that are required to start the operating system are started in a default scheme, regardless of any changes that are made to the service settings. After the computer is in Safe Mode, you can change the service configuration or restore the default configuration.

4.    Run Start Repair to scan your whole system and automatically fix it.

Startup Repair

=========

1) Restart your computer and press F8 at the Startup.

2)  Select Repair your computer at Advanced Boot Options.

3)  Choose System Repair in System Recovery Options.

4)  After System Repair is finished, restart the computer and log on with the additional account to see if Maximize button is enabled.

For further troubleshooting, please respond back and let us know more information. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Edited by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:04 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Do you receive any error message? I recommend that you look into Event Viewer and Task Scheduler to see if any message is related to Backup.

Check in Event Viewer by typing Event Viewer in the search box==> Windows Logs ==> Application and Services ==> Microsoft==> Windows==>Windows Backup==>Action Center, then  view the details about errors and post in this thread.

Check in Task Scheduler by typing Task Scheduler in the search box==>Task Scheduler Library==>Microsoft==>Windows==>Windows Backup ==>History, note the latest task scheduler and post in this thread.

Meanwhile, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1.    Check if you are logged on as Administrator account.

1)    Press WIN + R to open a run box.

2)    Type: lusrmgr.msc and hint Enter.

3)    Double click Groups, and click Administrators.

4)    Verify if your account is listed in the members of Administrators.

2.    Check if Windows Backup Service is configured correctly.

1)    Type: Services in the search box and hint Enter.

2)    Find Windows Backup service, check if it is manually started, please try to stop the service and restart it.

3)    Make sure that Log On as is  Local System.

4)    Start  Restore and Backup Center to see if anything is fine now.

3.    Start the computer in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, core services that are required to start the operating system are started in a default scheme, regardless of any changes that are made to the service settings. After the computer is in Safe Mode, you can change the service configuration or restore the default configuration.

4.    Run Start Repair to scan your whole system and automatically fix it.

Startup Repair

=========

1) Restart your computer and press F8 at the Startup.

2)  Select Repair your computer at Advanced Boot Options.

3)  Choose System Repair in System Recovery Options.

4)  After System Repair is finished, restart the computer and log on with the additional account to see if Maximize button is enabled.

For further troubleshooting, please respond back and let us know more information. Thanks.

Best Regards.

Dale Qiao

• Edited by Dale Qiao Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:04 PM
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 6:37 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. Fresh install of Ultimate RTM x64. I tried to run a backup immediately after installation and again after having installed an AV and other applications without any success. I'm fairly certain there's no problem with the installation, it was clean without any errors or crashes.  I did manage to get the backup started by inserting a usb key and using it as a backup device, then switching the save location over to my NAS. An alternative I've found is to also go to the Action Center where the "Back up Now" works. Also, the speed of the backup seems to be unsually slow. I'll try steps 2, 3 and 4 shortly and post back.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I've now tried all the steps Dale described without any luck. What else can be tried?
    Monday, August 10, 2009 8:12 PM
  • Hi Inspectra,

Unfortunately, the above methods don't work for your issue. I suspect the issue you occur with is different from this one.  Meanwhile, please understand that we generally focus one question per thread in order to help customer efficiently. Thus I recommend that you create another thread and we'll look into your issue trying our best to help you. Thanks for your effort and cooperation.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:37 AM
  • Dale: I'll post another topic but as far as I can see I am having the exact same issue. Correct me if I am wrong, but he's unable to click on any buttons in the backup and restore panel. That's my problem. He's managed to make a backup anyway but seems to be unable to change the parameters. That is what I am experiencing.

Toftarn: Can you describe in more detail how you were able to create a backup?
    • Proposed as answer by DiyarAyranci Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:30 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I have a related problem somewhat.  When I attempt to start the Backup application I am greeted with NO buttons at all, just a blank window.  I also tried the steps listed here with no luck as well.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I'm having the same issue as the original poster.  I upgraded from Vista X64 Ultimate to Windows 7 X64 Ultimate.  I created an initial backup but now the backup buttons don't work!  They are there but they do nothing.  No UAC notification, nothing, just click the button and nothing happens.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I really hate to say this, but after absolute and complete frustration I knelt to my baser instinct and blew everything away and did a complete reinstall.

All I really lost was several hours, but now backup/restore work as intended.

Of course, now none of my CDs are recognized (as they were before all this), but hopefully that'll be sorted out once my commercial copy arrives.  Guess I'm paying for all that swearing....
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:52 PM
  • I see no errors in the event or task scheduler logs.   What is funny is that manually running the backup works perfectly fine.

Meaning if I manually run sdclt.exe with the correct parameters from either the run panel or a shortcut I can do all the tasks just fine.   Also I can use task scheduler directly to enable/disable backups just fine.

Therefore based on this it seems like there is a bug where some people have buttons on their backup windows that are simply broken.  The backup engine and everything else appears to work fine, it is just the links on the backup panel that fail to work.

I don't want to reinstall, part of the reason I spent the money for the upgrade package I bought was for avoiding the hassle of a reinstall...

edit: also a scan of system components yielded no problems.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Any other ideas or change of a hotfix for this one? Is there some registry tree entry that may be invalid that controls the panel buttons?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 12:08 AM
  • I am also experiencing this very same problem. Running x64 Professional. Managed to setup backup for the first time and now none of the buttons do anything.

Turn on schedule, change settings, manage space, backup now, all do nothing.

A quick check shows that all buttons with the shield next to them do not work, the two buttons with no shield do work.

I have UAC turned off.

I think I may have rebooted mid way through my first backup. Action Centre says that there is a backup in progress. Perhaps this is why I cant click on anything? The backup panel in the control panel doesnt say anything is in progress and there is certainly no hard disk activity.

Rebooting doesnt reset the status of the action centre to not backing up.

Not sure what else to try.
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Before I waste my time doing it, has anyone who has this problem tried deleting their backup entirely and starting one from scratch?
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Sorry for the inconvenience caused. We would like to get more details to nail the issue. Is the issue with only backup/restore control panel or any other control panels? Also, when you run backup from action center/sdclt, do you see the progress bar in the control panel?
    For better follow-up, we encourage you to post in Windows backup and restore forum.

Thanks,
    S.Soudamini.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranties and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 7:24 AM
  • The progress bar looks fine when the backup is run from action center/sdclt.  As someone else stated, it appears what is primarily occuring is that the 4-5 buttons with the shields on them on the right half of the backup panel are non-functional, but everything else appears to be working okay. 

As far as other issues with Win7 x64, I haven't had any problems with any other control panel - with the exception of the system panel causing a Windows Explorer crash loop, but that seems to have been an isolated 1-time occurance.  I've also noticed latest flash 10 also seems to crash like crazy on IE8, but from what I've read elsewhere that is not uncommon.

Also, could you point me a link to the forum you want me to post in?
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:41 AM
  • Hello toftarn, ruinedx, Inspectra and Graham,
    Few questions:

1. Does closing and re-opening of the CPL fix the issue?
    2. Only links with shielded icon do not work and the ones without('Restore my files') works fine?
    3. Links on the left pane work fine(create a system image, create a system repair disc)?
    4. UAC is turned off or on?
    5. Also can you try killing and restarting explorer from task manager.
        Processes-> explorer.exe-> right click 'End process'.
        File -> New Task -> explorer -> OK.
        Note : This will close existing folder/CPL windows.
    And then re-launch the B&R CPL.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:55 AM
  • 1. No
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Doesn't matter
    5. The shielded icons on the right are _always_ broken, even when the computer is freshly booted.
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:28 AM
  • Hello ruinedx,
    Regarding 2 above, others users have reported that "restore all users' files," "select another backup to restore files from" (which have a shield icon) work fine for them and 'Change settings', 'Manage space' do not work.
    Can you confirm? I am trying to discard the UAC being an issue here.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/3a13f801-2b39-4b04-94ed-94bd27cc61e2

And I would need a dump of the explorer process from your machine. Please follow the below steps:
        i. Get the machine in the problematic state, ie when the links wont work.
        ii. right click on task bar-> Task manager-> process tab-> Explorer.exe-> right click-> Create dump file.
        iii. save the file on local disk(could be a few hundred MBs), upload it onto skyDrive space and send the link. You can email the details to lokkum"at"microsoft"dot"com.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:00 AM
  • For me none of the shielded icons on the right side work.  In other words, Backup now, Manage Space, Change Settings, Restore all user's files, and select another backup to restore files from are the ones that do not work.   All of the other buttons including the shielded icons on the left pane and all of the unshielded ones on the right do work.  I will get that log emailed to you ASAP.  I would not be surprised if it was UAC related, but turning off UAC does not fix the issue.

Also it is worth mentioning that the "problematic state" is all the time, said shielded buttons on the right side of the the pane will never work no matter the circumstances.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:57 AM
  • Followed up with ruinedx offline.
    Received iDNA trace, which indicates a UAC issue caused by 3rd party softwares implementing a bad context menu handler. 
    To confirm the issue, you can try Start->On a item in start menu->right click-> "run as administartor". If this does not throw a UAC prompt or does not launch the app then it is the same isue. 
    Will confirm/test on the work around and post it here soon.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by ryou Tuesday, July 12, 2011 1:58 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:36 AM
  • Having the same Issue. Buttons not responding, also happening with "Change font size" and a couple other options under the getting started (I think this was what it is called, I removed it from the start menu) Running Win7 Home Prem x64. Upgraded from Win Vista Home Prem x64.
    Sunday, November 15, 2009 3:01 AM
  • Issue found.

Special thanks to ruinedx for getting those big files through to us for diagnosis.

The issue is with some 3rd party apps not implementing their context menu(right click option) correctly. One such app we have found is an older version of Quicksfv. (They seem to have corrected it now.) 

So if you have quicksfv installed and are facing this issue, you can either un-install and install the latest one or check for the below reg key and add it if not already present.
    1. regedit-> 
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects\{906b0e6e-61ce-11d3-8ee2-0060080a7242}]
    "CTXMENU_NOVERBS"=""
    (right click-> New->'String Value'->CTXMENU_NOVERBS->Enter)

Other apps which we have been reported to cause this issue:
    i. "MoveTo CopyTo Context Menu" - gives a right click Move To option - Guid {C8F9EE0B-60AE-40C6-930D-6395F46358E5}
    ii. "CompareIt!" - (installed with 'Shell extension' option) - Guid {398D6F03-7C65-4462-A173-95247F028785}
    iii. explorer integration for the trojan scanner "a-squared Free" - Guid {A155339D-CCCD-4714-85EB-3754B804C9DF}
    iv. PCmag's ContextMenuPlus - Guid {EECB3CFB-8757-11D3-9A66-00105A228F4A}
    v. J River Media Center 14 - Guid {7578A3D3-CF04-4F4B-A231-43D8F50A4C49}
    vi. Quicksfv - Guid {906b0e6e-61ce-11d3-8ee2-0060080a7242}
    vii. Handy Backup Software - {21B897E9-4B62-4C3D-A0C5-5FF356E84ADA} // you can reomve the shell integration feature of this to correct the issue.
    viii. Easy SFV Creator 2.7.0 by Brad Smith Software - {67FDD158-4C57-4672-A93C-AEDFAACA693F}

ix. JujuEdit.exe. (Guid not available - should be uninstalled)

x. MyWinLocker. (Guid not available - should be uninstalled)

xi. WebEx - Guid {4D185FEC-958C-4DB4-87AA-D4D79A46FAB7}
    xii. Express Zip {8EEA165E-0B8B-4BA7-9796-50214C767171}

If the guids are not present in the 'Objects' reg key, then you need to add the guid and then add the string value.
    1. Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects
    2. If the apps guid(mentioned above) is not present, right click on 'Objects'->New->Key-><guid value>
    3. Now click on the <guid> key, on the right side-> new-> 'String Value'-> CTXMENU_NOVERBS

If none of the above apps are installed on your machine, send a mail at misingh"at"microsoft"dot"com and i can pass you a tool to find the app and make necessary changes to the registry.

Thanks,
    Lokesh [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by Lokkum Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:56 AM
    • Edited by Lokkum Friday, October 22, 2010 8:47 AM changing mail id
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:29 AM
  • Yes, this fix worked for me too - the culprit in my case was the explorer integration for the trojan scanner a-squared Free (which can be disabled under 'Configuration > General').

I thought I'd messed up Backup & Restore by force-cancelling a backup while it was in progress, but thankfully this was a straightforward fix.

Thanks to all the contributors on this post!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:07 PM
  • The issue is with some 3rd party apps not implementing their context menu(right click option) correctly.

Speaking as a developer, I'd say that's not the issue at all. This CTXMENU_NOVERBS registry value turns out to be fundamental, but (now I've learned of its existence) a search for it at MSDN returns not a single mention. If so many aspects of Windows can fall apart without it, why isn't it documented? (And, of course, why are so many aspects of Windows allowed to fall apart without it?)
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Yes, this fix worked for me too - the culprit in my case was the explorer integration for the trojan scanner a-squared Free (which can be disabled under 'Configuration > General').

I thought I'd messed up Backup & Restore by force-cancelling a backup while it was in progress, but thankfully this was a straightforward fix.

Thanks to all the contributors on this post!

I had the same problem. Disabling explorer integration for a-squared fixed it!
    • Proposed as answer by I A Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:03 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:26 AM
  • I have had the same issue since day 1 of installing win 7 pro, I have read thru countless forums here at microsoft, today the issue was resolved.

I had pc magazines contextmenuplus installed, which allowed me to right click on a file and copy or move it. I uninstalled it ,rebooted and now change settings,manage space, and backup now all work. I spent the last 2 weeks troubleshooting these issue, 1st with microsoft by email, then by phone, and tonite I checked this user interface forum and found the solution.

Thanks Lokesh
    • Proposed as answer by nytek1 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:35 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:50 AM
  • Thanks a bunch for posting the fix once you found it.  I did the same thing......and it worked. Thanks!!!!  
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:16 AM
  • It was Lokesh's thread that lead me to the solution. Just a side note, contextmenu also prevented me from right clicking on startup, and adding coretemp to the startup folder. I would rt click on say open and nothing would happen. Lokesh also emailed me a fix, adding a key to the registry, and adding a string value to it, now both contextmenu works, as well as backup and rt clicking the start menu, to be able to add things to startup. If your app had to be uninstalled for backup to work, perhaps if you email Lokesh, he will tell you whether your app can be made to work.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Thanks, but I think that I will live without having the explorer intergration feature of A-Squared enabled at all times.  No need in my playing around in the registry with stuff I don't 100% understand. I'll leave all that hex to you smart people out there:)
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:39 AM
  • The issue is with some 3rd party apps not implementing their context menu(right click option) correctly.

Speaking as a developer, I'd say that's not the issue at all. This CTXMENU_NOVERBS registry value turns out to be fundamental, but (now I've learned of its existence) a search for it at MSDN returns not a single mention. If so many aspects of Windows can fall apart without it, why isn't it documented? (And, of course, why are so many aspects of Windows allowed to fall apart without it?)

Hi, RJY:

I want to add some information to Lokesh's answer:

The CTXMENU_NOVERBS registry value is a compatibility fix intended ONLY for context menu handlers that are incorrectly designed. When Windows has to build the context menu, it asks every context menu handler if they can handle a certain verb (for example, "to pin"). The first one to take it, wins. The problem is that some context menu handlers have a wrong implementation of their InvokeCommand method and return success regardless of the verb the shell passed them. When the CTXMENU_NOVERBS flag is enabled, the shell doesn't pass any verb to that particular context menu handler, and this avoids the problem.

I hope this clarifies what causes the problem and what the CTXMENU_NOVERBS registry value is for.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 11:11 PM
    Answerer
  • Hey everyone, just to say I was having the same problem and that disabling the a-squared context menu seems to have fixed things - the view details button at least!  (not sure about the scheduler yet).

I'll drop an email to a-squared in the meantime... while I move onto the "incremental backups not working" issue, which I also have.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/50f3ff7a-2ae7-41c1-ac92-41edaed1e2f9

glad to see there are people out there trying to help tho!
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 4:15 PM
  • Nice post from the MSFT/MVP  answerers!!!!
    really a good and useful thing to know..

RR
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:11 AM
  • I had same problem. Disabled Explorer integration in a squared and that fixed it. Thanks for everyone on here. I thought it was some major problem :)

Open a squared > configuration > untick "Activate Explorer Integration"
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:06 PM
  • I don't have any of those apps and I still have the same problem as the original post.  Could you send me the tool to find the app that is causing the problem?  Thanks.

-Tom

Monday, May 17, 2010 2:11 AM
  • I have the same problem, but none of the applications listed above are installed.  Do you have a method of determining what application is actually causing the problem?
    Friday, June 25, 2010 2:24 AM
  • Being able to reset the context menu and remove all 3rd party Explorer integration would be a good thing.  Does anyone have a way of doing this?  This would eliminate this problem and other problems like right clicking and waiting forever for the menu to pop up.  
    Friday, June 25, 2010 4:24 AM
  • Another application that produces this problem is SnipClick.  Lokesh kindly sent me the tool which identified this app, I made the registry change and Backup/Restore now works just like it should.  Problem solved.

Andrew

Saturday, July 17, 2010 3:16 PM
  • I want to publicly thank and recognize Mr LOKESH KUMAR for helping me solve this very annoying problem. He stood by me for more than 3 weeks trying to fiond the culprit, and finally he very skillfully found it. I have NO DOUBT at all to recommend him for any need you have.

LOKESH ROCKS !!!!!!

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:26 PM
  • Thanks to Mr. Lokesh from me, too. MS support here in Slovenia were offering me the payed support and were insisting that the problem, you all described here, is due to improper domain rules of our network, disregarding that the other PCs in the same network function just fine and there was no change in the rules whatsoever...

The culprit in my case was Diffdoc.

Thanks,
    Matevz

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hello Lokesh,

I too face the same problem. What should I do? Is there any tool that I should download?

Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:18 PM
  • I have Windows 7 Pro 32bit and have rebuilt my entire system 3 times to try and resolve this issue. I DO NOT have any of the 3rd party software mentioned above so how would I go about resolving this? I've been trying for more than 2 months and am nervious without a full system backup.

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help!

• Proposed as answer by Daytona12 Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Daytona12 Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:36 PM
  • In my case it was because I used Acronis True Image Home 2011 for a while.

After un installing this product the CPL links where broken. I tryed serveral fixes wich I have found on other forums, but to no avail.

Until I found this link http://kb.acronis.com/content/14741 and i seems this Acronis tool intergrates with windows 7 Backup and Restore and this is a known error when uninstalling  this product.

If you use or used this program, then this is the solution.

Hope this helps!

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hi Lokesh, I've been trying to send an e-mail to see if I can get the tool you mention above, but I get a "Recipient address rejected: Access Denied" message back. How might I get the tool? Thanks
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:06 PM
  • I encountered numerous problems with the "right click" context menus on my computer not working (including the problem mentioned in this thread related to the buttons for the backup/restore not working).  I used a program called ShellExView to identify all the context handlers loaded in my system.  I was able to inactive the problem in one of the context menu handlers by using a trial and error method.  ShellExView allows you to easily inactive suspect "handlers" to zero-in on the one creating the problem.

More details can be found in this link:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

ShellExView is available here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

I found this solution much easier than trying complex editing of the registry.

• Proposed as answer by grigos1 Tuesday, February 26, 2013 5:00 PM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Thanks Fusion22. I'm going to try this first since I suspect this could be the problem. I haven't found time to sit on the phone with Microsoft for several hours and I won't let them remote in either so guess I'll see if this works first. I'll post an update when I have tried it.

Michael

Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Michael,

Good luck with your hunt for the problem.  For what it's worth, the problem on my system was the following:

C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ShellMenu\2.6.4.790__efa9b98b06f72233\ShellMenu.dll    {82C63EC5-1B4C-43B7-7AC8-57148B696B95}

ShellExView could not determine the "Product Name" or "Company" for this context menu handler, so I do not know how it got on my system.  Once it was inactivated I got back all the missing functions.

Fusion22

Sunday, March 27, 2011 10:16 PM
  • I'm curious to know if you had to reboot after deactivating each one? I have about 40 items in red and I tried turning a few off but no change in the buttons. I sorted them by product so I could isolate all non-Microsoft products and work with just those. I then selected all of them and still no change.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Michael,

I did not have to reboot when I inactivated the "handler" that was a problem for me.  The effect was immediate.  In fact, when I tried turning it off and on the problem consistently reappeared when the handler was active ... all without rebooting.  Others have suggested that rebooting may be necessary.  Maybe it depends on the "handler".

One suggestion would be to turn off half the handlers and test.  If there is no effect, then reactivate and turn then turn off the other half.  Hopefully, you can zero in on the problem by continuing this "halving" process.  If you have to reboot each time it is a pain, but at least you only need to do two reboots to determine if the problem is in the context menu handlers.

... good luck.

Monday, March 28, 2011 12:55 PM
  • Hi Lokesh,

Are you still available to diagnose the third party apps that might be interfering with the shielded icons? I do not have any of these listed installed on this brand new machine, yet am having trouble with functionality of many shielded icons in the Backup and Restore program. I am also unable to run programs "as administrator" from by start menu. From this thread that sounds like it is all the same issue.

I tried to email you directly at misingh"at"microsoft"dot"com but had it bounced back to me. You can contact me directly at pevm13 at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

-Page

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:32 PM
  • You can add "HP Instant Printing Utility" context menu handler to the list.

Doesn't surprise me coming from HP.... If you have and are experiencing this issue, disable it.  I did using ShellExView, mentioned by Fusion22 above.

Monday, April 18, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Well Fusion22, I've tried everything. I contacted Microsoft and they suggested that I rebuild the system and install one program at a time to determine which one broke the system and then call them back. Hello, I can't get a full backup of the system. Why would I risk losing my data. I discovered last week that my sense of security knowing that the backup was running each week was unfounded. Turns out that it is only backing up incrementally and does a Full backup once every 90 days.

I can assure you that I will NEVER upgrade another MS operating system again. If I am forced to, like most XP user are now being pushed to do, I will go with another system like the Mac or something else.

Microsoft, you have lost me as a customer after 30 plus years!!!

Michael

Monday, May 2, 2011 12:10 PM
  • I can confirm that deinstalling MyWinLocker solved the problem for me. That program is usually preinstalled on ACER notebooks. Regards
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:40 PM
  • After a year of trying everything know to man I found a workaround.

If you need to change where the files are backed up to or what is actually backed up do the following:

Go to Start|All Programs|Accessories and rightclick on the command prompt. Select run as administrator and select yes when prompted.

Next, type in "SDCLT.EXE /CONFIGURE". Do NOT include the quotes.

You'll be prompted to select where the backup is to be stored and the when clicking on next select "Let Me Choose" what to back up.

That's it! It's just like clicking on the buttons that don't work. Whiles it is a royal pain in the you know what, it works.

Michael

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:36 AM
  • Fantastic thread - solved my problem!

I used the ShellExView application as recommended lower down the thread and discovered that it was this causing the lack of functionality on my Backup control panel page:

ShellHandler for Notepad++ (64 bit)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\NppShell_01.dll

Many thanks to all concerned!

Ed

Monday, May 30, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi, All

There has been change in the mailing address. Use this address to send your mails:

If none of the above apps are installed on your machine, send a mail at "mits"at"microsoft"dot"com" and i can pass you a tool to find the app and make necessary changes to the registry.

Thanks,

Mithilesh 

Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:04 AM
  • Try mailing at "mits" at "microsoft.com"
    Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:05 AM
    Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:06 AM
    Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:06 AM
  • I sent an email back on 6/8/11 requesting the tool you mentioned above but have yet to receive a response. I'd really like to resolve this after a year of trying. The email was sent to mits at microsoft dot com.

Thanks

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:12 AM
  • You can find a diagnostic tool here

http://pariswells.com/blog/fixes/windows-7-backup-up-now-not-working-or-uac-shield-shorcuts-icons/comment-page-1#comment-586

Scroll down to Details on the CPPLinks download the tool from the following link and then go through the steps he lists.  This found the answer for me, Copy Paths a legacy ap with guid {AB136DF8-ADA1-4954-AA2F-06996FA7E5C4}

JG

Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Thanks Jogo321

I d/l'd the file and did as instructed. If I under stand this correctly I would have 1000's of file I would have to check. I'm looking for a tool that will go through my entire registry and tell me which menu items do NOT comply with Microsoft's format. So far all I have found are tools that list all of the menu items in the system which is of no use to me. I simply need a tool that says here are a list of menu item that are broken or don't comply.

MichaelF58

Sunday, June 19, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Invalid code

/* IContextMenu override */
    	STDMETHODIMP QueryContextMenu(HMENU hmenu, UINT indexMenu, UINT idCmdFirst, UINT /*idCmdLast*/, UINT uFlags)
    	{
    		::InsertMenu(hmenu, indexMenu, MF_BYPOSITION, idCmdFirst, L"test");

return MAKE_HRESULT(SEVERITY_SUCCESS, FACILITY_NULL, 1);
    	}

Valid code

/* IContextMenu override */
    	STDMETHODIMP QueryContextMenu(HMENU hmenu, UINT indexMenu, UINT idCmdFirst, UINT /*idCmdLast*/, UINT uFlags)
    	{
    		if((uFlags & CMF_EXPLORE) == 0)
    			return MAKE_HRESULT(SEVERITY_SUCCESS, FACILITY_NULL, 0);

::InsertMenu(hmenu, indexMenu, MF_BYPOSITION, idCmdFirst, L"test");

return MAKE_HRESULT(SEVERITY_SUCCESS, FACILITY_NULL, 1);
    	}

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:00 AM
  • I suspect this issue is Windows Backup's bug.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:05 AM
  • Below is the tool which should help you all facing this issue. 

http://cid-921ae32373defa5b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/CPLLinksBroken

1. Copy the correct architecture exe onto your machine.  Double click on the exe.

2. First page, it asks for a type of file, say Documents.

3. Then pick some random file, may be a .txt file.

4. Generate the report. This should give a link for detailed info.

5. It will give you output in sections. Scroll down to "Verb Handlers" section. This might say some red information about some app returning 'SUCCEEDED WHERE IT SHOULD NOT'.(ignore the one which says 'does some I/O during binding').

6. There will be a guid associated with the above red warning(big number of around 32bits). This is the identifier of the culprit app.

7. Search for this guid in run->regedit-> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellCompatibility\Objects\

8. If found, on the right create a new 'String Value' with name CTXMENU_NOVERBS=""

9. If not, you will have to create a key with the guid first found in step 6 then do step 8.

(This will ask the OS to ignore the fault of the app.) After this your links should work fine.

Alternatively at step 4, if you face any difficulty, you have an option to 'Save log file'(save the report), save it to a file on your desktop and send it across to me. I will try and examine it.

P.S. Let me(Mits-nospam@microsoft.com remove "-nospam") know if you face any issues while running the tool. If it solves your issue, please reply back on this forum with the culprit app and the Guid.

Thanks,

Mithilesh

Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]

Thursday, July 21, 2011 2:49 PM
  • I am not sure what you are saying on how to use this file. If I'm reading it correctly am I suppose to go through each and every 3rd party program and randomly select a file within it's directory for analysis? If this is true then that is rediculous. It is my opinion that while 3rd party software companies should be 100% compliant with Microsofts operating system, I think the least Microsoft can do is to release a tool that will scan through the registry or wherever it needs to scan. The end-user should not have to work on this issue for more than a year, as I have had to endure. I can assure you that I WILL NOT be upgrading to any future Microsoft operating systems.

For once, I am going to look into other operating systems or perhaps I will endure converting back to XP. I did not destroy my previous XP disk so all I would have to do is revert back to it. I would rather spend a few days reverting back to XP and know I have a system that works than try to resolve anymore Windows 7 issues. You should pass this along to the powers that be at Microsoft that this is precisely why folks are NOT leaving Windows XP.

Friday, July 22, 2011 1:39 AM
  • Hi Michaelf58,

have you tried the tool i have provided above. Most probably that will solve your issue which is following straight steps.

Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]
    Friday, July 22, 2011 12:11 PM
  • Hi there Mit

Yes, I have tried it and it gives me a ton of information I don't understand. I tried it out on a random file within a legacy program I used under Windows XP. I guess my question still remains unanswered. The question for using this tool is simple. Do I have to select a random file under every single directory of 3rd party software installed in order to figure out which one is at fault?

Thanks

Michael

Friday, July 22, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Hi

Random file mentioned in the step 3 is any .txt file on your machine that need not to be part of the culprit app. Steps 4 -9 will help you detect the problem and solve it. Have you tried these steps? Steps 1-9  should ideally be done just once to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Mithilesh 

Mithilesh Singh [MSFT]
    Friday, July 22, 2011 1:17 PM
  • I just uploaded the report to you. Please let me know if I was on the right track when I mentioned the faulting program.

Michael

Sunday, July 24, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I have got the same problem and I tried the above procedures but non of them works. Please advise further. Thanks. Wengang Li
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:57 AM
  • I uploaded the information to you on July 24th from the program mentioned above but have not had a reply. Did you get the email? What did you find?

Thanks

Michael

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Another culprit that breaks the UAC buttons (i.e. what is reported here, the buttons not working):

box.net's sync app,  Box Sync version 2.5.37.0

Once it is installed, the aforementioned buttons ("see details" button among others) just do not work.

Using Sysinternals' Autoruns utility managed to fix it by disabling one single Explorer Shell menu handler. 100% repeatable.

The entry that causes the issue is:

HKLM\Software\Classes\*\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers   ---   BoxDesktop

Once this entry is disabled (using Autoruns is the easiest way) the issue will dissappear.

So, if you are having the issue and just recently installed the Box Sync software, that's one (maybe you have more) cause for the issue.
    • Edited by Andrés S Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Andrés S Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:26 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I have the same exact problem, running win7 x64, on new hardware (all Intel). Everything worked okay (for about a year), then I installed a big 3rd party application that included and installed a backup program, set for auto backups, the day before.

I then noticed a day later that all buttons on the center plane stopped working (Backup Now, Manage Space, etc.) but buttons on left plane all appeared to work okay (Create a System Image, Create a System repair disk, etc).

If you now turn off schedule - for backups (on the left plane) you have to turn it back  on in the center plane, where it ends up after clicking on it. But don't expect to turn it back on, because its now in the Center Plane, where nothing seems to working normally.

It does appear to look like a Registry problem, possibly a corrupted entry, due most likely to the 3rd party backup program. The user interface appears to have become disassociated from the backup program; just the Center plane (left plane is okay).

I did a scheduled backup the day before, as proof, and all went well so most likely its the user interface as noted that has the problem. But I have no way now to turn backup back on, after turning it off, with this problem.

Jerree
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Hey Jerree, There is a way to turn the backup back on. Follow the instructions I posted on my May 28, 2011 posting. If that doesn't work, let me know. I have had to resort to doing things the hard way since my many calls to Microsoft don't resolve the problems I've had since I installed Windows 7 Pro in Jan 2011. I would think twice before upgrading to Windows 8 when it becomes available. However, if your running Windows 7 Pro you will notice that upgrading from Windows XP is the BEST move you can make. I was resistant at first but despite this issue with the backup I have NEVER had a more stable system! Michael58
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:26 PM
  • That shellExView software really helped! I run it and deactivated this C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ShellMenu\2.6.4.790__efa9b98b06f72233\ShellMenu.dll

and all back up buttons work properly! many thnx to everybody!

Ps: any idea what that ext is about?

• Proposed as answer by MostafaS Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Same worked for me but after \assembly was Memeo backup software
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 10:54 PM