none
Can OneDrive for Business personal document storage be made to function the same as SharePoint company team sites on navigation?

Question

• I have two problems using navigation links from company team sites to OneDrive for Business personal sites...

1. Normally navigation links in Quick Launch will only display if the user has access to that linked location, otherwise the link does not display.  However when I create links to a number of people's OneDrive for Business storage sites, ALL these links show up for every user even though that user has no access granted to the personal storage.  I am just referring to the links, when you follow the link if you don't have access you see no data files so that if OK, but I don't want the link to display if the user has no access granted.

2. Once you are in a OneDrive for Business personal storage site, there does not seem to be any way to create Quick Launch links to the company team sites or to create Top Link Bar links.  In site settings you do have the ability to add these links but they don't actually display to the user so creating them is useless.  Is there some way these links can be made to display in OneDrive for Business?

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Irpacs,

From Site settings, you need to go to Site Collection Administration (1)  > Site Collections Features and enable SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure

After that, go to Site Actions > Manage site features (2)  and enable SharePoint Server Publishing

If you see something like Site Collection Administration > Site Collection features, you are on a subsite, which means that you need to go to the top leve site settings.

If you don't see this things, you don't have site collections admin permissions.

Regards,

Sunday, May 7, 2017 12:30 AM

All replies

• Hi

normal site and od4b site are different. It is just like that by design.

for question 1, you can try to set audience for the link.

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:05 AM
  • Justin,

I am interested in using the audience feature on the link as you suggest.  However, I am using SharePoint Online (Office 365), not a stand-alone SharePoint server on premises.  From what I can tell, in order to set an audience on a link you must have Publishing features active on your site collection.  When I try to activate Publishing on the site collection it fails because it requires additional dependencies.  Do you know if this is a dead end for me because I am using SharePoint Online or is there still a way to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:57 PM
  • Hi

glad help.

As I know, you can directly activate Publishing feature on site collection. Could you let me the detail info when you can not activate it?

顺其自然地勇往直前!—Justin Liu

Friday, May 5, 2017 5:59 AM
  • I get this message when trying activate "SharePoint Server Publishing".  I am using SharePoint 2013 as part of Office 365 online subscription.

Site

The feature being activated is a Site scoped feature which has a dependency on a Site Collection scoped feature which has not been activated. Please activate the following feature before trying again: SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure f6924d36-2fa8-4f0b-b16d-06b7250180fa

Web

The Site scoped feature being activated has a dependency on hidden Site scoped feature 'FeatureDefinition/15/22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416' (ID: '22a9ef51-737b-4ff2-9346-694633fe4416'). Hidden features cannot be auto-activated across scopes. There may be one or more visible Site scoped features that auto-activate the dependent hidden feature.

Web

The Site scoped feature being activated has a dependency on hidden Site scoped feature 'FeatureDefinition/15/dffaae84-60ee-413a-9600-1cf431cf0560' (ID: 'dffaae84-60ee-413a-9600-1cf431cf0560'). Hidden features cannot be auto-activated across scopes. There may be one or more visible Site scoped features that auto-activate the dependent hidden feature

Friday, May 5, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Hi Irpacs,

The reason why you see the above messages is because you're trying to enable the Server Publishing features from the subsite leve.

You need first to enable this feature at the Site Collection level.

SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure

After this feature is enabled, go at subsite level and enable:

SharePoint Server Publishing

Regards,

Saturday, May 6, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.  I had the same thought myself but have checked several times now that I AM at the top of the site collection.  And I have tried the same configuration on other site collections with the same result.  There is NO listing of "SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" at the site collection level.  There is only "SharePoint Server Publishing" shown.  Could this be because my SharePoint server is Office 365 Online and not a standalone on-premises server?

Saturday, May 6, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Hi Irpacs,

From Site settings, you need to go to Site Collection Administration (1)  > Site Collections Features and enable SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure

After that, go to Site Actions > Manage site features (2)  and enable SharePoint Server Publishing

If you see something like Site Collection Administration > Site Collection features, you are on a subsite, which means that you need to go to the top leve site settings.

If you don't see this things, you don't have site collections admin permissions.

Regards,

Sunday, May 7, 2017 12:30 AM
  • Thank you for giving me the exact steps clearly.  I have the correct features enabled now and can proceed to use the publishing features as needed.

This answers all my questions on this topic.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 12:10 AM