unable to send emails with an attachment in the .docx format RRS feed

• Question

• All of my users are using Office 2016.  As we role out new machines we are upgrading the OS from Win 7 enterprise to Win 10.

Once on Win 10 a few of our users are unable to send emails with an attachment in the .docx format (Word, Excel, etc). They can send the same documents in the older .doc (97-2003) format just fine.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far below. 

1. Using desktop app to send newer format excel attachment: get error “We’re sorry. We can’t open <doc name> because we found a problem with its contents.” You can click “Yes” to continue, but content is scrambled
    2. Tried sending same attachment (same format) from 365 web version =  results successful
    3. When sending same attachment from desktop app using older format (97-2003) =  successful

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

In this situation, please try the following two ways to send Excel or Word attachment and see if there is any difference.
    1. Send Excel or Word attachment in Outlook via Click Insert > Attach File.
    2. Send Excel or Word attachment in Excel or Word via Click File > Share.

In addition, it is suggested to repair your Office installation.
    Please try my suggestions and let me know the result.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

Please check if the above reply is helpful.

If you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, March 1, 2019 9:16 AM