outlook 2003 vista RRS feed

• Question

• recently  purchased  new  lenovo R61i with  Vista installed.  I uninstalled  trail  version  of  Office 2007  and  installed  full  version  of  Office 2003.  each  time  i  try  to open  outlook  2003  box  pops  up  that says:  "Cannot  start Microsoft office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL  is  corrupt or  the  wrong  version. This could have been casused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook." 
    I  have  tried  reinstalling  office,  each  time  i  try  this  i  look  for  Oultook files  on the CD  ,  can't seem to find them. Is there anohter way to get Outlook 2003  runnning  on  Vista ?
    Monday, November 26, 2007 8:36 PM

All replies

• 1. Quit Outlook.
    2. Click Start, point to Search.
    3. Type Mapi32.dll in the Search box.
    4. In Look In, click to select My Computer, and click Find Now.
    5. Right-click to select Mapi32.dll in the search results list.
    6. Click Rename, type Mapi32.old, and press ENTER to accept the name change. If there are multiple copies of Mapi32.dll in the list, rename each.

Close the Find Files window and start Outlook.

When you start Outlook, it checks for the existence of necessary files. In the case of Mapi32.dll, if it is not present at startup, Mapistub.dll is used. If for any reason Mapistub.dll cannot be found, Setup automatically attempts to replace both files.

Monday, November 26, 2007 8:42 PM
  • Hi Carey

I'm having the same problem, however I'm not able to delete the file as I'm running into problems with permissions.

I've turned off UAC, no effect, I've enabled the administrator account, no effect.  I've logged in as administrator using safe mode and still I can't delete mapi32.dll

I've resorted to DOS commands but that simply informs me "Access Denied".

There must be something that I'm missing, please tell me what it is.

Thanking you in advance

TC

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:15 PM
  • Hi Carey

Panic over, as I discovered that if I deleted "MSMAPI32.DLL", then Outlook installed the file that it needed and all appears to be well.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:31 PM