Upgrading SCCM 2007 to 2012 using existing SCCM server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I know you can't do an in-place upgrade of SCCM 2007 to 2012. That being said, I have a very simple SCCM 2007 server setup and am not really concerned about keeping the existing collections, packages, etc. No problems doing a clean install from the server side of things. What I am wondering about is the client upgrade process.

If possible, I'd like to re-use my existing SCCM 2007 server, format & reinstall with 2012. At that point, how would I upgrade all the clients to see SCCM 2012 and upgrade their clients. Will the push client install automatically update the client software from 2007 to 2012? Would I be able to use the existing site codes if I go this route? (Probably not, but not sure.) I read elsewhere re: upgrading SCCM to watch out for overlapping boundaries but I don't think that would apply in this case.

The existing clients also have FEP 2010 currently. I take it that is still a separate upgrade process to upgrade them to EP 2012.

What I want to avoid is having to visit the clients and doing some manual upgrade process. I don't mind rebuilding the basics as there isn't a lot there to redo in my case--as long as it means I would be able to reuse the existing physical server.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know it's not the recommended migration path. Just want to know it's possible without manually hitting the client machines. Thanks.

Friday, January 30, 2015 7:04 PM

Answers

• Personally I would never reuse a site code, not even in this scenario. Also, you are correct that in this scenario you don't have to worry about overlapping boundaries.

If you completely wipe your server and basically simply start over you can upgrade the client by discovering the systems again and pushing the new client. If you also enable the installation of the endpoint protection agent in the Client Settings then it should also upgrade the endpoint protection agent.

My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude

Friday, January 30, 2015 7:24 PM