customise fgimg.png RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to rebrand a SP 2010 site with a custom masterpage and a custom CSS. I realise that the SharePoint icons (sprites) are stored in one image called fgimg.png and I know how the correct icon is being displayed.

I know that I should not alter fgimg.png in the HIVE.

So how do I create my version of fgimg and make it available to SP to display? Most of the items that use fgimg are SharePoint controls (compiled code).

For example, how to I change the down arrow image beside Site Actions

Friday, February 10, 2012 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the down arrow is an image and it has a src attribute, the only way that I know to change it is javascript. You can embed javascript in your masterpage and rely on JQuery selector to go pick the images that you want to change and update their src attribute.

Regards.

Batiste 

• Marked as answer by Entan Ming Friday, February 17, 2012 5:53 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:27 PM
  • I did something similar for the "I Like It" and "Tags & Notes", which are also extracted from a sprite file. The trick is to hide the IMG and set a background for the SPAN that contains the IMG. You may have issues with the height and width of the span after hidding its contents.

http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2011/08/sharepoint-2010-replace-i-like-it-and.html

Let us know if this works for you.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the down arrow is an image and it has a src attribute, the only way that I know to change it is javascript. You can embed javascript in your masterpage and rely on JQuery selector to go pick the images that you want to change and update their src attribute.

Regards.

Batiste 

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:27 PM
  • I did something similar for the "I Like It" and "Tags & Notes", which are also extracted from a sprite file. The trick is to hide the IMG and set a background for the SPAN that contains the IMG. You may have issues with the height and width of the span after hidding its contents.

http://techtrainingnotes.blogspot.com/2011/08/sharepoint-2010-replace-i-like-it-and.html

Let us know if this works for you.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com

Friday, February 10, 2012 3:50 PM