outlook 2010 folder display missing after email moved into it RRS feed

• Question

• After you move a message into a folder, the folder name on the folders 
    display pane on the left disappeared... the only way to get it back is to 
    exit and restart outlook 2010

However, this doesn't happen if you move a message into a subfolder..
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• The folder name disappeared?  So you see a folder that has no name now?  What method are you using to move the message into the folder?  What build of Outlook 2010 are you using?

What if you restart Outlook with the /resetnavpane switch?  See if this helps - http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.html#cls

-B-
    http://www.officeforlawyers.com
    Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Microsoft Outlook

• Proposed as answer by Ben M. Schorr Friday, May 14, 2010 4:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:52 AM
    Friday, May 14, 2010 4:55 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Either one drags and email from the Inbox pane to a Folder under Outlook Data Pane or use the Move button on the ribbon to move an email to a Folder under Outlook Pane, after the move, the Folder Name that the email was moved to will disappear under Outlook Pane until one restart outlook.

Henry

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 1:04 PM
  • Hi Henry,

I would like to confirm if the problem is resolved after trying Ben's suggetions?

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, May 24, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Hi Sally & Ben,

Ben's suggestion sort of resolve the issue to make the product kind of workable to the previous behaviour in Outlook 2007.  However, it will also RESET the Favourites folder pane to default meaning any folders one place on the Favourite Panes will get dropped too which is not exactly nice.  One also has to manually make a new icon on the desktop etc... Not sure why these Outlook startup flags can't be stored in a configuration setting??

Sorry for the late reply as we had a long Victoria Day long weekend here.  Hope we will have either a Hot Fix as I don't think the commerical clients will like to have to live with this.

Henry Cheung

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:44 AM
  • I am having this identical problem. Only restarting Outlook returns the missing folder to view
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:36 PM
  •  

I am also having same problem.  It is not a biggie, as just restarting Outlook fixes it.  Have checked via SCANPST that no errors in pst file.

Running Version 14.0.4760.1000 (32 Bit) under Win7 Ultimate 64 bit and Interl core i7 CPU at .67 Ghz

Note also, this doesn't happen all the time and I haven't pinned down what triggers it.  I have 140 folders and sub folders total under my Personal Folders.  I notice it when I go to drag an E-Mail into a folder and find the folder name is not in usual alphabetical order but it is somewhere else in the tree, I think always lower down than it should be.  Restarting Outlook restores it

Kotuku

New Zealand

Sunday, August 1, 2010 10:43 PM
  • We're having the same problem with one of our users.  We just installed new Win7 machines and Outlook 2010 on October 6 2010.  10 of us installed new systems but only 1 of us so far is having this issue.

When the user reads a message and chooses to drag it from the Inbox after it's been read into the folder in the display pane on the left, the folder seems to disappear.  This happens...

-- when dragging read messages from Inbox to a folder.

-- when dragging unread items from Inbox to a folder.

-- when dragging sent items from Sent Items into a folder.

The only way to get it back is to close Outlook and open it again, but frankly that's annoying.  We've tested it several times.  It does not happen consistently (each time she drags an item into a folder), but frequently enough to annoy us and wonder if we've done something wrong.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:58 PM
  • Has anyone found a fix yet? I have a user with the same issues and the mentioned fix above did not seem to help.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Would love to know when MS will release a permanent fix for this problem...This has been a continual problem and has gone long enough, so fix it already.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:33 PM
  • Would love to know when MS will release a permanent fix for this problem...This has been a continual problem and has gone long enough, so fix it already.

It's nearly March 2011 and this is still an open issue.  Will the moderators please update us on the progress made to resolve this problem?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hi Sally & Ben,

This issue still exists near the end of March 2010 on fully patched Outlook 2010 installs.  Some report it as 'missing folders' and some report it as 'rearranging folders'.  There are a number of posts throughout various MS forums about this.  We have about 200 of our end users upgraded from Outlook 2007 to Office Pro 2010 running on XP SP3 machines.  We have 5 users so far that have reported this issue.  These are all running against an Exchange 2010 server but the problem did not apprear until they started using Outlook 2010

When you move a message (via drag & drop or rules) to a root level folder (on the same level as Inbox but after the initial 4 folders of Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items and Deleted Items), the folder then moves somewhere else in the root level folder structure.  For my users none of the folders disappear, they just move further down in the root level folder structure and stay out of alphabetical order until Outlook restarts.  One user reports that after a while the folders do rearrange themselves back into alphabetical order.  I have no reports of this happeneing to sub-folders which seems to coincide with others on these forums reporting the issue.

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane or /cleanviews may alleviate the issue for a day but the issue returns.  New profile does not fix the issue.  Switching them between cached and non-cached mode does not fix the issue.  For one user we uninstalled Office 2010, removed Outlook folders and reinstalled Office 2010 but this did not fix the issue.

It is acting like MRU (most recently used) settings are affecting folders at the root level.  As you move messaged into root level folders, the folder is moved to a new location in the root folders and additional folders are stacked after this folder as messages are moved into them.

Thanks,  John Moe

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Had the same problem. Tried closing Outlook and reopening. No help. Did a complete restart. No help. Any other ideas?
    • Proposed as answer by Dennywayne1 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:14 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dennywayne1 Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:18 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:03 PM
  • I had the same problem as well and after much searching, found the solution.

Download the following tool and unhide the folder/s via instructions on this site -

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/hidemovedeletemfcmapi.htm#unhide

Hope this works for you as it did for me.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 5:17 PM