none
Bare Metal Backup of Exchange 2010 Boxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all new to DPM 2010 neat product and Im excited to get started. I did read through the manual for backing up exchange 2010 and briefly read through the manual for DPM 2010 as a product. I have one question though. When backing up my Exchange 2010 servers I obviously want to do a Bare Metal Backup so my question is it required that I also backup the volumes that contain the databases at the file level? I know the databases are selectable separately and that is how I am doing it now. One protection group just for the Exchange Databases, and another protection group for the Bare Metal drive C backup. The exchange databases are not on drive C they are on E, F, G

Thanks in Advance!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your current strategy is good, have BMR for the server itself, then exchange DB protection separately.  Recovery would be, restore BMR of C: and once you have a working server if E,F,G were also lost restore the DB's to the new volumes. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

Your current strategy is good, have BMR for the server itself, then exchange DB protection separately.  Recovery would be, restore BMR of C: and once you have a working server if E,F,G were also lost restore the DB's to the new volumes. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thank you!
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Any reason why after setting up the protection storage group it doesn't do a express backup right off the bat? How can it do Sync's and incremental backups with no full backup to start with? Or do I have this all wrong?
    • Edited by Mike_Kubi Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:29 PM
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:28 PM
  • The first step should be creating the replica.
    Has it been done?
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Yeah it did that for awhile and I have green "OKs" next to all my storage protection groups. When you say replica what exactly is it doing ? Taking a mirror of all the data that is there? I tried to look back at the logs but can't seem to figure out how to view yesterdays backup history.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

While under the monitoring tab, click the jobs tab.  On the right, click on the custom filter link.  That will let you filter on all - or specific jobs for one or more data sources for a specified period of time.  So look for all successful and failed jobs only, and under protection,select only the data source in question starting on the date that you first protected it to today.   Save the filter, and then select group by "computer" and that should show you a chronological view of ALL jobs that ran starting with an initial replication job.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Awesome thanks! When clicking on the Recovery tab and picking "exchange mailboxes" I can't seem to search for any mailboxes it turns up no results no matter what type of search I do. Is that because a Express backup hasn't run yet ?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

The Search feature is really finicky, and I think you will have better experience just using the browse feature to expand out the exchange server to see all recovery points available to restore. All Synchronizations (incremental backups) and express full backups should be available as a recovery point to select from.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Neat thanks , so I can browse mailboxes but I can't browse mailboxes for Archive. Is that a limitation of DPM ? I am using Exchange 2010's Archive feature and Database for old mail items. They get archived to another database on Exchange 2010
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Hi,

I don't believe DPM supports backing up ARCHIVE database.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:49 PM
  • Strange, its just another database on exchange like a live mailbox database. It did back it up but I haven't tried to restore it yet.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not familiar with that exchange 2010 feature, but I guess if it shows up as a DB to protect in the DPM GUI and you select it, then DPM supports it.   8-)

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Thanks Mike!
    Friday, October 7, 2011 8:16 PM