Word 2013 Comparison Feature--incorrect marking of existing text RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a user who is working with a client on a document.  The document has been sent back and forth between our office and the client several times.  My user tried to run a comparison on his last sent version against what the client returned.  Word's Compare showed as new text language that had been in my user's last sent version (and the version before that, as well).  The text shown as new wasn't, by any means, new. 

I ran the comparison on my box, to see if that made a difference.  It didn't.  Language that has been in the last several versions shows up as new.

Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix it?  We need accurate comparisons, and doing it old-school, by hand, with a ruler and red pen, won't cut it . . . .

Thanks for your time!

Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:04 PM

All replies

• Your description suggests you did the comparison the wrong way around, specifying the new document as the original and vice-versa.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:29 PM
  • No--the order was correct.  More confusingly still, the text that was marked as new was present, in the same location, in both documents.  It had been present for the last several versions that everyone was working from.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 26, 2014 5:41 PM
  • Perhaps someone changed the paragraph formatting/Style or the formatting of some of the content. Without seeing the actual documents, it's hard for anyone to diagnose.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, September 26, 2014 10:11 PM
  • No signs of format/style changes--they show as the same in all respects, which is why this is so bizarre.  Wish I could post the docs, but they're confidential to the client . . . .

Friday, September 26, 2014 10:31 PM