none
Possible to dump storage pool data to network share? RRS feed

• Question

• I've found some discussions in this forum about replicate DPM storage pool data to another DPM server.  But I just have one DPM server.  Is it possible to "dump" the storage pool data to a network drive (which is, of course, big enough to hold everything)?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:53 PM

Answers

• I had flashed the firmwares and updated the drivers and luckily nothing's broken!

I had actually tried Command Prompt, as suggested, to have a look at those sub-folders.  For the first few levels, indeed it's possible to list the contents, but at deeper levels, it's not possible again.  But anyway, I don't care.

Mostly of all, this method can't guarantee a "safe backup" of storage pool. And it's fetching the data as a file-system instead of *dumping* raw data.

Of course, with some determination and twisting, I could have done so under Linux, but it doesn't worth the time and effort.

So, I have to admit that there's no answer to my question and "it's impossible to dump raw data from storage pool".

• Marked as answer by Horinius Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, perform the following. 

1) From a command prompt run: DPMBACKUP -REPLICAS  (This will make snapshots of all the replica volumes)

2) Copy the data from under the C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy folder to the network drive.

C:\Windows\mpsreports\dpm\bin>dpmbackup -?
    DpmBackup 1.0 - Data Protection Manager backup command-line tool
    Copyright (c) 2010 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Description:
             DpmBackup backs up the DPM database, and creates shadow copies that can be used for backing up replicas.
             To back up the DPM database, run DpmBackup.exe -db locally on the computer running the instance of SQL Serve
     Usage:
             DpmBackup.exe [-db [-instanceName <name>] [-targetLocation <location>]] [-replicas] [-certificates]

[-db]               Backs up the databases to the default backup location on the DPM server, %DPMInstallLoca

[-instanceName]     Specifies the instance of SQL Server that hosts DPMDB. This parameter can be used only w
                                 If you are backing up from a remote instance of SQL Server:
                                 -   From a named SQL instance, provide the instance name with -instanceName.
                                 -   From a default SQL instance, provide "(Local)" with -instanceName.
                                 If SQL Server is not on the same computer as DPM, the default backup location for DPMDB
             [-targetLocation]   Overrides the default backup location and points to a folder on the local computer.
                                 If -db is specified, the folder path should be an absolute path.

[-replicas]         Creates and mounts shadow copies of the DPM replica volumes to %DPMInstallLocation%\Volu

[-certificates]     Creates a file of the public certificates at %DPMInstallLocation%\DPMBackup\Certificates

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Hi Mike, thanks for your reply.

I had actually already found a Microsoft article of this DPMBackup.exe command at:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795753.aspx

I didn't use it because something worries me in the description of what it's supposed to do:

Well, my C: drive of the DPM server is just about 100GB while the storage pool contains about 1.7TB of data (out of a total of 2.5TB disk space).  The description says "....DpmBackup backs up the DPM database, and creates shadow copies..."

Did I understand it correctly that if I run the command, my C: would be filled up (and might even crash) before there's not enough space?

It's a shame that the -targetLocation parameter doesn't allow network drive...

Monday, April 2, 2012 11:20 AM
  • Hi,

When you run dpmbackup.exe -replicas , the shadow copies of the replica volumes are stored on the same recovery point volumes used for normal recovery points.  There is NO space used on the C: drive, so there is virtually no risk of running the dpmbackup.exe command. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, April 2, 2012 2:26 PM
  • OK, thanks Mike, I run that command and I got "Snapshot successful" for everything.  But now I have a problem and a question:

Problem:
    Under that "....\ShadowCopy" folder, there're four sub-folders: Database Backups, File System, Microsoft Exchange Writer and Non VSS Datasource Writer.
    The first one is empty, but the other three have some kind of "pointers" (I suppose that represent mounted partitions).  When I tried to open them, I got an error message:

What should I do?

Question:
    Suppose I manage to copy the data to a network drive.  Suppose something goes wrong and I need to recover the data back into Storage pool, what's the procedure?

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

Often times you will get that when using explorer, but from a Command Prompt window, you can navigate to the subfolders.

The only 2 valid / supported senario where copying data back into the replica volume would be (1)  if you lost the storage pool and you performed a dpmsync -reallocatereplica command to make new volumes and you didn't want to perform an initial replica from the protected server(s), or (2) a replia volume got corrupted and chkdsk could not fix it, so you had to reformat the volume.  Under those conditions you could re-seed the replica volumes from the network share instead of from the protected server.  I think that if you have disk space for a copy of the replicas, you could stand up a secondary DPM server and only maintain 1 or 2 days of recovery points and accomplish the same thing much easier than manually copying replica data manually.  A Secondary DPM server gives the option to "Recover replica to primary DPM server" to make it easier.

Monday, April 2, 2012 5:43 PM
  • Unless DPM allows me to make a storage pool on a network share, I can't see how I could make a 2nd DPM.

The disk space is inside a Storage Server 2008 R2.  As far as I understand, DPM can't be installed inside it, or it's not advised to do so.

That's so inconvenient.  I can't imagine there's no way to export data temporarily.

I give up!  I'm just going to flash the firmwares and update the drivers.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:57 AM
  • I had flashed the firmwares and updated the drivers and luckily nothing's broken!

I had actually tried Command Prompt, as suggested, to have a look at those sub-folders.  For the first few levels, indeed it's possible to list the contents, but at deeper levels, it's not possible again.  But anyway, I don't care.

Mostly of all, this method can't guarantee a "safe backup" of storage pool. And it's fetching the data as a file-system instead of *dumping* raw data.

Of course, with some determination and twisting, I could have done so under Linux, but it doesn't worth the time and effort.

So, I have to admit that there's no answer to my question and "it's impossible to dump raw data from storage pool".

• Marked as answer by Horinius Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:26 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

RAW DATA - What do ou mean by that, DPM replica contains an exact copy of the protected data source. There are only files and directories, what were you expecting to find ?

To gain unimpeded access to the shadow copies, you can do this.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)  Now CD to the replica volume under program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy\...

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:51 PM
  • RAW DATA - What do ou mean by that, DPM replica contains an exact copy of the protected data source. There are only files and directories, what were you expecting to find ?

That's not totally true.  That might be true for full backup, but for incremental backup, only differences are backup.  Well, at least this is the usual technique in all backup softwares.  I hope I don't over-estimate Microsoft's technicality.  So, for the differences, I don't know in what form DPM is storing them in the disk, that's why raw data would be better.

Other than that, there might also be data related to the time when the backups are done, etc, etc.

To gain unimpeded access to the shadow copies, you can do this.

1)      Download psexec.exe from www.sysinternals.com
    2)      Run PSEXEC -s cmd.exe   (this will switch window to system context)
    3)      Afterwards - type WHOAMI it should return:

nt authority\system

4)  Now CD to the replica volume under program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\Shadowcopy\...

Thanks, but I don't need it anymore :)

Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

The replica only contains the "most current" view of the data (since the last synchnonization).  Previous versions are maintained by VSS shadow copies and are stored on the recovery point volume.  The shadow copies are not copyable IE: they are only valid for use against the original volume. That is because they are block (sector) level copies of changed files, and so they cannot be a applied to a copy of the replica as the blocks would not be the same.   The only way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to make a "hardware mirror" of the disks in the storage pool so VSS snapshots could be maintained if you lost the original disks in the storage pool.

Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:45 PM
  • The replica only contains the "most current" view of the data (since the last synchnonization).  Previous versions are maintained by VSS shadow copies and are stored on the recovery point volume.  The shadow copies are not copyable ......

You probably meant not copyable in the sense of file-system, because in IT, when you can get the binary data, you can copy them.

That is because they are block (sector) level copies of changed files, and so they cannot be a applied to a copy of the replica as the blocks would not be the same.   The only way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to make a "hardware mirror" of the disks in the storage pool so VSS snapshots could be maintained if you lost the original disks in the storage pool.

Yes, that's what I was referring to as RAW data.

Anyway, I don't need to do this any more and this discussion has to be closed.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 10:46 AM