none
Linking custom field to the resource names list RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create several custom fields in a task sheet which are identical to the resource name field in that when you click on them, you can select which resource(s) you want to appear in the field.

I want to do this to create a RACI matrix, where I have one column for responsible (resource name), one for Accountable (1st custom field), one for  Consulted (2nd custom field) and the last for Informed (3rd custom field).  I feel that this shouldn't be to hard, but I'm at a loss on how to do it and haven't had any luck finding solutions in others posts.

I'm using Project 2010 Standard

Thanks in advance for the help

Matt

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:04 AM

Answers

• Rod's solution provides a semi-automatic way to populate the three fields.  But you can do it manually, without VBA. 

Copy the resource names from the Resource Sheet.  Create three custom Outline Code fields.  Paste the resource names into the lookup table for each Outline Code.  If you subsequently add any resources to the project, append them to the bottom of the lookup table for each Outline Code.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• Matt,

So, if I understand correctly you would like to replicate in a value list for three custom fields the names that appear in the Resource Names field for each task. For example, if task A has Bob, Mary, Joe as the assigned resources, you would like those three names to appear as a value list in each of three custom fields. And if Task B has Bob, Frank as the assigned resources, you would like those two names to appear as a value list in each of the three custom fields. Correct?

Assuming my understanding is correct unfortunately you can't quite get there exactly that way. The best you can do is a drop down value list that contains the names of all resources appearing on the Resource Sheet. Then you can pick the name you want to appear in each custom field from that full list. If your file has more resources shown on the Resource Sheet than are actually assigned to a task or some of your resource at non-labor, then you could narrow the value list down using some VBA.

A value list can be customized for a given Project field, but it will apply to all tasks. It cannot be customized for each individual task.

It should be possible with some advanced VBA to do what I think you want, but it would require a custom user form.

Now, if my going in assumption about what you want is wrong, please clarify and we'll try again.

John

Sunday, September 18, 2011 2:32 AM
  • Alternatively you want three custom fields to automatically update with the latest Resource Names?

That can only be done via VBA, something like:

Sub Macro1()
    ' Macro Macro1
    ' Macro Recorded 18/09/11 by Rod Gill.
    Dim Res As Resource
        CustomOutlineCodeEditEx FieldID:=pjCustomTaskText1, OnlyLookUpTableCodes:=True, OnlyLeaves:=False, LookupDefault:=False, SortOrder:=1
        CustomFieldPropertiesEx FieldID:=pjCustomTaskText1, Attribute:=pjFieldAttributeValueList, SummaryCalc:=pjCalcNone, GraphicalIndicators:=False, AutomaticallyRolldownToAssn:=False

On Error Resume Next
        Do Until Err.Number <> 0
            CustomFieldValueListDelete pjCustomTaskText1, 1
        Loop

For Each Res In ActiveProject.Resources
            CustomFieldValueListAdd pjCustomTaskText1, Res.Name
        Next
    End Sub

You need to delete all existing entries before adding, unless you check for duplications. Repeat above for all 3 fields.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Rod's solution provides a semi-automatic way to populate the three fields.  But you can do it manually, without VBA. 

Copy the resource names from the Resource Sheet.  Create three custom Outline Code fields.  Paste the resource names into the lookup table for each Outline Code.  If you subsequently add any resources to the project, append them to the bottom of the lookup table for each Outline Code.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:30 PM