none
Restore Multiple SQL Databases in One Recovery Job RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. Is there an easy way to restore multiple databases at the same time using DPM 2010? I only need to restore six, small databases that are protected on a SQL 2008 server. Since it's only six it isnt a huge deal to recover them one by one, but I would imagine that someone with 20+ databases that need to be recovered for a lab refresh or any other reason outside of a full bare metal restore would take some time.

A powershell script would work, but an option in the GUI to multi-select would be preferred.

Jason Ogle MCITP Enterprise Administrator
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Jason,

thank you for this input.
    Indeed, currently a Powershell script would be the way to go.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:16 PM
  • I have to recover 18 Databases this morning and would really appreciate to have a multiple Database Recovery over te GUI, like all or at least most other Backup Utilities have. Specially because I have to Restore them from Tape. I think even with a Powershell Script, the Restore Job would do one by one and take much longer than a Job would need if it could run trough on the Tape in one Job.

Will you please take this "feature" into cnsideration for the next Service Pack?

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I have to recover 18 Databases this morning and would really appreciate to have a multiple Database Recovery over te GUI, like all or at least most other Backup Utilities have. Specially because I have to Restore them from Tape. I think even with a Powershell Script, the Restore Job would do one by one and take much longer than a Job would need if it could run trough on the Tape in one Job.

Will you please take this "feature" into cnsideration for the next Service Pack?

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:44 AM
  • I've installed DPM 2012 Beta, but haven't had a chance to play with it. Does anyone know if this will be an added function in the 2012 release?
    Jason Ogle MCITP Enterprise Administrator MCTS System Center Configuration Manager, Configuration MCTS Office Communications Server 2007, Configuration
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:03 PM
  • As far as I know the recovery process for DPM 2012 for SQL datasources didn't change.

You need to do one by one or create a powershell script to handle that for you...

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Hello,

Alternatively from the UI, In DPM 2010 and 2012 you can go to Management - Libraries - right click your tape drive - View Tape Contents. From there you can check the SQL databases you want then click Copy, the rest is pretty much the same with restoring step.

Rgds,

DC

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:37 AM